27

I put on some jeans and grab a sweatshirt from my closet. I put my phone in my back pocket, slide on some shoes and begin descending down the stairs. I have to get out of this house. I feel like I'm locked up.

I look around to see my mother nowhere in sight before I walk to the front door. I slowly begin to open it.

"Where are you going?" I jump and turn to see my mother in the living room.

"Uh, out. I'm hungry and no offense but I really need to get out of this house" I state.

"I don't think it's a good idea for you to go out alone Normani with out somebody with you" She begins. I roll my eyes.

"I'm not a child" Andrea nods.

"I know that but it would make me feel more comfortable if I knew you were safe with someone" Andrea says.

"I'm not going anywhere with Lauren if that's what you're thinking" I begin. Andrea nods.

"I understand that. How about Zendaya and Alessia?" I shrug. I don't really know them so I can't make an opinion on whether or not they're good company. "Great. Let me contact Zendaya's mother. They live in the neighborhood so it shouldn't take long" She pulls out her phone and begins talking with the person on the other line.

I sigh before walking over to the staircase and sitting on the bottom step. Am I ever going to be allowed to do anything on my own?

-

It's awkward as I sit in the back seat of the car with the two unknown girls. The one driving introduced her self as Zendaya while the other one stayed quiet but Zendaya introduced her as Alessia.

"So Mani, how are you adjusting?" Zendaya asks glancing at the rear view mirror.

"Fine" I say looking out the window. I take in my surroundings and some of them do seem a little familiar.

"Great" Zendaya says awkwardly. I glance over at Alessia who takes a glance at me before going back and typing on her phone. I guess she's not much of a talker?

"Where are you taking me?" I ask.

"Wing stop. Your favorite place to get wings. You could never keep your hands off the Buffalo wings" Zendaya smiles. I nod before looking out the window. "Have any of your memories come back yet?" She asks. I keep my gaze outside the window.

"No" I answer bluntly. We sit in silence until we arrive at Wing Stop. Zendaya parks the car and we head into the restaurant and find a booth. Zendaya and Alesia share a seat while I sit across from them.

The waiter comes over and begins taking out order. Before I can say what I want, Zendaya orders the buffalo wings for me.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom real quick" Zendaya excuses herself leaving Alessia and I alone at the table. She's head deep in her phone texting away.

"You seem to be a quiet one" Alessia looks up at me. "Are you always like this or do I make you uncomfortable or something?"

"You don't make me uncomfortable. Just the thought of you no remembering me does" I nod and she goes back to texting on her phone.

"Texting your boyfriend?" Alessia looks up confused and I glance down at her phone.

"Oh, no, um. He's not my boyfriend" She states. I tilt my head.

"How come? Are you not willing to be tied down or something?" She shakes her head.

"No it's not that. It's just our friend group wouldn't appreciate me dating him. I mean, I told you who it was and it even took time for you to come around" She says.

"How come they wouldn't like it?" Alessia shrugs.

"Well because he's friends with Din-" Alessia catches herself and stops.

"We're you going to say Dinah? Can you tell me about her?" I question. Alessia is about to say something when Zendaya slides into the booth.

"Sorry I took so long. There was a line" She adjust herself in the seat and smiles at us. "So, what'd I miss?" I shrug.

"Nothing really"

-

I sat in my bed staring at Dinah Jane's contact. I shake my head and click over to Alessia and start typing.

Normani:
Can you tell me now?

I sit and patiently wait for a reply. I turn on my TV lightly petting Aspen's head. My phone dings and I quickly grab but sigh once I see who it is.

Zendaya:
Had a great time with you tonight Mani!

I roll my eyes before locking my phone and placing my gaze back on the television. After a few more minutes my phone dings again. It's Alessia. I quickly unlock the phone and open the text.

Alessia:
I'm not supposed to be talking to you about her Normani. Our group decided and majority ruled it that way...

I scrunch my face. Majority ruled it that way?

Normani:
What do you mean?

Alessia:
Zendaya, Lauren, and Zayn agreed that its best you stay away from her and that we don't bring her up. Vanessa and I didn't feel the same way but it was 3 against 2...

Normani:
Well shouldn't it be my choice? I mean, it is my life isn't it?

Alessia:
Yes, but it was a group decision Normani. I mean, we talked to your mother as well and she agreed with their decision

Normani:
You guys can't control and choose stuff for me. I make my own decisions, so are you going to tell me or not?

Alessia:
I can't Normani.

Normani:
Fine. But all of you guys need to stay away from me. We may have all been friends before, but we're not anymore.

Alessia:
Normani. I'm sorry. Don't be mad at me please...

I lock my phone. I don't understand how so many people can dislike Dinah Jane. She seemed like she truly cared about me in the hospital even though I can't remember her. She seemed hurt as well due to that.

Someone who they make out to seem bad would react like that would they? In my opinion, they wouldn't.

I quickly open the phone app and head to the key pad. I type in *67 and then Dinah Jane's number. I don't know why, but I really want to her hear voice again.

I click call and and wait for the line to connect. After a few rings the line connects and I freeze.

"Hello?" I stay quiet. "Helloooo?" I smile at her soothing voice. "Keith if this is you trying to prank call me again it's starting to get old. Your pranks are worse than Regina's" She chuckles and my stomach immediately tightens that that.

I quickly end the call and sit there staring at my phone. This is going to be a problem.