54

Dinah, Vanessa, Madelaine, and Ally and I are sitting in my living room watching tv with each other. My mom walks out of the kitchen with her phone to her ear.

"Do y'all girls need anything to drink?"  She asks. I look at everyone and they shake they're head.

"Nah, we're good mom. Thanks" I smile. She smiles and walks back into the kitchen while chatting on the phone. Dinah playfully nudges me.

"Mom" She taunts me. I playfully roll my eyes.

"Whatever" I chuckle. "We're getting better and both putting in effort" Dinah smiles.

"That's good. I'm happy for you" She kisses my forehead and continues watching the tv.

"Hey Mani, what do you think of this dress?" Vanessa tosses me her phone and I look at a picture of her potential prom dress. It's silver at thigh length with a deep v-line cut.

"It's very cute actually" I smile zooming in on different parts of the dress. Dinah looks at the phone as well nodding.

"Oh yeah, you'll look good in that" Dinah agrees. I toss the phone back to Vanessa who smiles looking back at her pick. We continue watching tv when Dinah leans in closer to me and whispers in my ear. "I forgot to ask, what color do you wanna wear for prom?" I shrug keeping my eye on the tv screen.

"It's up to you D, it doesn't matter" She looks at me confused.

"Are you sure?" She asks. I nod.

"Yep" I state. She eyes me still unsure and confused. "Excuse me, I need to get a drink" I stand up off the couch and head into the kitchen. I walk in to see my mom talking on the phone. She pulls the phone away from her ear and covers it with her hand.

"Everything okay honey?" I nod and smile.

"Yeah, just getting a drink. Don't mind me" She nods and continues talking. I grab a water bottle out of the fridge and sit on top of the counter drinking it. The kitchen door opens and Dinah walks in looking at me. She walks over to me placing her hand on my thigh.

"What's wrong?" I shrug.

"Nothing. Just getting a drink" I lift my water bottle. She glances at the drink and sighs. She turns to my mom.

"Mrs. Andrea, do you mind giving us a moment" She asks. My mom nods and leaves the kitchen leaving us alone. Dinah turns back to me.

"What's going on Princess? Seriously" She says sternly. I bite my lip and awkwardly look away. Dinah lightly grabs my chin turning me to look back at her. "Come on Mani. What's up?" She asks. I sigh.

"I don't know... I know we're together and we could assume we're just going to prom together but I guess since it's senior year..." I drone off. Dinah sighs leaning against the island counter behind her.

"You thought I'd ask you to prom instead of assuming?" She guesses. I nod. Dinah runs her fingers through her hair.

"Saying it out loud makes me sound spoiled" I joke. Dinah shakes her head.

"No, no, I get it. I kinda fucked this up huh?" Dinah chuckles. I shake my head smiling and hop off the counter.

"No, you didn't" I smile placing my hands on both sides of her face. "I still get to go to prom with the hottest girl at school" I smile pecking her lips. Dinah's arms wrap around my waist.

"Damn, you're gonna dump me to go to prom with yourself?" Dinah smirks. I playfully roll my eyes.

"You're cheesy for that" I laugh.

"I know" Dinah smiles. She kisses my forehead.

"So, not to ruin the mood..." I start. Dinah groans.

"Please don't say it" Dinah rubs her forehead. I step back a little.

"You don't even know what I was gonna say!" I whine.

"So you weren't going to ask about Kehlani?" Dinah questions.

"W-What? How did you know?"

"I overhead you and Dua on the phone last night" Dinah sighs.

"But Dinah-"

"No, Mani. I'm not talking to her" Dinah crosses her arms. I raise my arms crossing my hands together begging.

"Please D, it's our senior prom!" I plead.

"Mani, it could be the last supper, my answer is still no"

"All you guys have to do is sit down and hear each other out! Plus, you owe me for not asking me to prom" I smile slyly. Dinah glares at me.

"That's so unfair" She states.

"Maybe, but you still owe me" I smile with puppy dog eyes. Dinah shakes her head lightly tapping her foot thinking. She looks up at me.

"Fine, but no promises with anything" I raise my hands up.

"That's all I ask" I smile.