26

I hear a knock on the door and I slowly stir awake. The door opens and my mother walks in. I rub my eyes before yawning and sitting up.

"Hi" I croak. She has a tray of food in her arms and she closes the door with her leg. She smiles.

"Hi sweetie. I made you some breakfast" She brings over the tray to me and lays it on my lap.

"Wow. This is amazing. Thank you" I grab the fork and begin eating. "Do you know what time school starts?" I question. My mother takes a seat at the end of the bed and begins petting Aspen.

"Actually the doctor suggested that you take some time away from school. He says we should take things slow so you're not overwhelmed" She states. I nod and take another bite of my food.

"Where's my father?" I ask while chewing. My mother freezes.

"What?"

"Well the doctor showed me a picture of you and him but I haven't seen him. Does he work a lot?" I swallow my food and take a sip of my juice.

"Um..." She cleats her throat and shifts uncomfortably. "You're father died some years ago"

"Really?" I ask. She nods. I take in a breath before shaking my head a little and taking a bite from my meal. "I'm sorry for your loss" Andrea tilts her head confused.

"It was your loss as well honey" She states. "It was hard on both of us" I shrug.

"Maybe so" I take a sip of my orange juice before placing on my bed stand. "But I can't remember it so it doesn't feel like much of a loss" I state. I realize what I said and look up at my mother. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to phrase it like that, that came out heartless. It's just hard to mourn someone you can't remember" Andrea stands up and nods.

"I know what you mean Normani, it's okay" She smiles. "I'll be downstairs if you need me" She walks out of the room and shuts the door behind her.

I place the tray of food next to me and lay back. I slide out of my bed and slowly walk around my room. I pick up a picture frame with a baby picture of me. I smile at it before placing it down lightly.

The door bell rings making me turn my head. I open my room door and head downstairs. I walk down to see my mother talking to some girl who looks familiar. She was one of the girls on my Instagram page...

My mother and the girl seem to be in a deep conversation before noticing me by the stairs. My mother turns and smiles at me moving out of the way, giving me full view of the girl.

"Normani!" My mother smiles. "You may not remember her but this is Lauren Jauregui, one of your best friends" She states. Lauren waves.

"Hey Mani" She says lightly.

"Hi" I say bluntly.

"I hope it's okay that I invited her over. I thought it may help trigger your memory somehow" Andrea says.

"That's fine. You can follow me upstairs...." I forgot her name.

"Lauren" She states. I snap my finger at her reply.

"Right. Lauren!" I start walking upstairs and I hear her following from behind me. I walk into my room and sit on the bed while Lauren closes the door behind us.

She walks over to my desk and pulls out the rolling chair before occupying it. We sit in silence as she stares at me as if she's trying to read me.

"Can I ask you something?" I question. Lauren nods.

"Of course" I bite my lip.

"Do you have a skin condition?" Lauren raises her eyebrow.

"Huh?" She questions.

"A skin condition? Like you have a little tan, and when I say little, I mean little; but you seem pretty pale" Lauren chuckles before leaning back in her chair.

"Even after losing your memory, you still roast me about my skin" Lauren playfully shakes her head. "No, I don't have a skin condition" She states.

"Cool, cool" I say awkwardly.

"How are you feeling though? Any memories coming back to you?" She asks. I shake my head.

"Nothing" I answer simply.

"Well that's okay. Hopefully they come back soon" Lauren smiles. We sit in silence again before another question pops in my head.

"Can I ask you something else?" I blurt.

"You don't have to ask me if you can ask a question Normani. Just say it" Lauren smiles. I nod.

"Who's Dinah Jane to me? Like what was our relationship before the accident?" Lauren's smile fades at my words and all of a sudden her mood becomes serious.

"She's nobody, a random. It's probably best you stay away from her" I shrug.

"She doesn't seem like much of a random if I have her number in my phone and she's texting me" I state lifting my phone in the air. Lauren stands up and walks towards me trying to snatch my phone out of my hand.

"Give me your phone so I can delete her number!" I hold the phone away from her.

"No. What the hell is your problem?" I bark.

"She's bad news Normani. Trust me, give me your phone!" She tried to reach for it again and I stretch it out more.

"I don't trust you, not with the way you're acting. I really suggest you leave!" Lauren steps back.

"I'm trying to help you" I point towards the door.

"Get out" Lauren glances at my phone one more time before sighing and walking out. What the hell was that about? She complete just switched at the sound of Dinah's name.

I get up and close the door and turn the lock. I climb back on my bed and unlock my phone. I head to my camera roll and scroll to the pictures of Dinah and I. A smile slowly forms on my lips.

I don't understand. We both seem happy in these pictures so why would Lauren tell me she's bad news? It doesn't make any sense to me.

There's a knock on the door making my gaze look at the door. The door knob jiggles a little and the person stops.

"Normani?" My mother calls. "Is everything okay in there?" I close my phone.

"Everything's fine" I state.

"Okay. I just wanted to make sure, Lauren left in such a hurry" She adds.

"Yeah, well it seems Lauren and I don't get along well" She jiggles the knob again and fails to open it.

"Can you unlock the door Honey?" I sigh and slide off my bed before turning the lock and opening the door slightly.

"Sorry, it's just I'd really enjoy some alone time" I state.

"Okay, um, just let me know if you need anything" She lightly smiles before turning around and walking away.

"Wait" Andrea grabs onto the stairs railing before turning to look at me.

"Yes?" She questions.

"Is Dinah Jane bad news? Should I stay away from her?" I ask. Andrea looks startled by the question.

"Is that what Lauren told you?" I nod. Andrea looks troubled by the question but answers anyways. "I do think it's best you stay away from the girl... You wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for her.." She turns away and walks down the stairs.

Dinah Jane did this to me?