Russian Roulette

Song: Rihanna - Russian Roulette

Blackness faded my senses as time went on.

It was all I could see. It was all I could hear and feel as hope withered away, and darkness made its home.

Huddled somewhere in a corner, time had become irrelevant. Every now and then a blinding light would slice through the black depths of the cell but just as quickly as it would come, it would go. The fifth time it happened, I realized it was the soldiers making good on their orders and watching me to make sure I didn't fall asleep. Once or twice I had dozed off.

The first time they had simply yelled at me to stay awake, the second time a bucket of ice-cold water was thrown on me.

I could hear the low thrums of my conscience trying to buzz into my mind but for the first time, I had truly tuned it out.

All I could see was Terra. The demolition of a planet that had once stood so tall.

Every now and then my head would droop, and my eyes would begin to close from fatigue, but then I would remember the feeling of the frigid pins that had stabbed at my body from the cold water and my eyes would shoot open.

After some time, my eyes began to droop again, and finally I lost my battle.

I appeared in our field of dreams.

A field that days ago had been filled with the blooming hope of our love and wishes for the future that presented itself in a kaleidoscope of various colorful rows of flowers. Flowers that had ran as far as the horizon. Now, in the wake of the past few days every single flower was dead. Since Ike wasn't here, I knew everything was under my control and was simply a representation of my mentality. Colors had been present once, but now everything was back to black.

As if he knew I was dreaming, Ike appeared in front of me. The happy expression on his face dulled at seeing mine. Confusion filtered through me at his face wondering why he was so happy to see me when last time he couldn't stand to be near me. Briefly, I pondered but then came to the conclusion that it didn't matter.

He cupped my face and moved closer to me. "Avril-"he began, voice sounding urgent, but I cut him off.

"It doesn't matter."

He frowned.

"It's over." I breathed. "They know we communicate through our dreams. He doesn't know what we are plotting, but it's over for me. I'm currently in some type of torture cell meant do dull out my senses. The wedding isn't in a month, it's in six days." Ike's eyes widened and he opened his mouth, but I was running out of time. "This may be the last time I see you. He's going to try and break the bond the day of the wedding. He won't care if it'll hurt me. He just doesn't care. Whatever happens, just know I'm sorry I couldn't be stronger."

"No, no, no you listen to me Avril." Ike pleaded, his watery eyes mirroring my own as I laid everything on him. "You've always been strong. You hang in there, okay-

I shook my head, remembering Niet's eyes as they stared into mine one last time. "I can't."

"Don't give up." He stressed.

"It's over." I whispered with finality, resignation of it all settling over me as I felt my body being pulled from this world. I stared into the terrified eyes of my kindred spirit wondering why things couldn't be simple, and why we couldn't have had a better love story - wthout our own problems and everyone else's running their course through our relationship, but I guess the time to ponder that was now over.

"Time has run out for us." Then I was being pulled back to reality.

* * * * * * * *

"Why are you doing this?" I questioned the solider who had pulled me from my dream and led my path to my door. "You know all this isn't right, yet you follow a monster without question."