Broken Frame

Dedication: I want to thank Florenceiscrazy for all the beautiful banners she made (at the bottom of the chapter) for this story. I absolutely love them.

Song: We the Kings - Sad Song (Thank you so much ChocolateLilac for recommending this!)

For a couple more hours, Ike and I sat in the field simply talking. It was the most open I had ever seen him, and in return I stayed the most open I had ever been with anyone besides Simon.

We talked about our fears, our hopes, I gave him bits and pieces about my mother and in return he tried to give me all the information he could that he knew about the Angelus nation. Even though the information was little, it was enough for right now and it surprised me at first that he knew all this when everyone else had barely heard about that nation. However, the more I thought about it the more it began to make sense. He was prince, next in line for king. People who were high and held power always knew way much more than the average citizen about stuff.

According to what he had learned, the Angelus people were winged exterrestrial creatures who came from a powerful lineage, yet despite their level of power, they were gentle creatures who shied away from violence and war preferring to live peaceful, reserved lives. It now made sense why my mother's planet had virtually disappeared from the radar once war broke out.

Their world was not divided into four kingdoms like in Terra, but into floating countries broken into empires. From the little information Ike had been taught, Angelus people's power tended to be circled around energy.

"What does that mean?" I had asked Ike, ears perking up and breathing slowly feeling like I was connecting another piece to the unknown puzzle of Avril.

Ike's eyebrows furrowed, deep in thought. "I really don't know. All I know is that their power is energy."

"But isn't energy basically in everything?" I questioned him. "Energy is literally linked to everything...what does that mean?"

Ike seemed to be at a lost at my questioning, his eyes gazing at me in between a mix of confusion, wonder, and appraisal. "I think it means Avril, that you're a very powerful being."

Softly I sighed, feeling like I had heard that so many times before. Unconsciously, my fingers began to play with the pendant connected to the unique, woven string of my necklace. At my touch the pendant began to swirl with color, like a slow churning storm was taking place within its smooth confinement.

Silent in amazement, Ike watched the magic at play before I gently stuck it into the collar of my dress hiding it from view. "We should probably get back." I mumbled wondering why I didn't think to question my mother about everything when I had the chance. Possibly, because everything was happening so fast and so much was going on that it had slipped my mind. Now, I regretted forgetting about it. There was so much I wanted to know about her, me, our kind. The most annoying part was that I still didn't know name. I knew her face, but I had yet to put an actual name to her.

Ike stood, and I placed my hand in his allowing him to gently pull me up. It had to be late in the afternoon probably approaching night very quickly with how dark the sky had gotten.

"We seemed to have let the whole day slip us by...even forgot about the party done for me."

Ike chuckled at this, but measly shrugged. "I think this type of day was much needed. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, so we might as well enjoy each other's company while we can." It seemed like in my absence Ike had really grown. I guess the death of someone you cared about that could do that though...

"But we should probably get back everyone is worried."

"I'm sure no one is worried about us." Ike smirked.