Chapter 20

I get woken up by a bright light shining through the small gaps of my window. I groan as I move feeling a pain shoot through my back. These beds are so uncomfortable.

I'm so glad I haven't had any weird dreams lately, when I come back to reality it's all so confusing.

"Good morning sunshine." I hear a female voice say in a humorous tone. I lift my head up to see Charlotte stood at the door smiling.

"W-what time is it?" I say sleepily.

"6am." I notice her frown. Clearly she hates being awake too. "I heard you wake up so I thought I'd take you out early for breakfast then a walk."

"Sounds good to me. I don't like the food here though." I scrunch my nose up in disgust at the thought of their food. She bends down picking up my overall, jumpsuit thing and tossing it at me.

"Who said anything about breakfast here?" she smirks turning around so I can change. I slowly climb out of bed then get changed.

"Done." I smile and she holds the door open waiting for me to walk out.

I silently walk past her and wait as she re locks my door. We head to the lift. Because it's so early there is hardly any staff about so the lift can go down with no stops. The bells dings and we're on the bottom floor. I go to pace ahead but Charlotte stops me just before the door.

"You didn't think I'd let you wander free did you?" her eyebrow raises. I shrug in reply as she links arms with mine. "I'm supposed to handcuff you to me but I'd much rather eat my breakfast with two hands." she says seriously but it makes me want to laugh. That's weird, no one can make me laugh. She leads me into a cafe just down the road.

"Do you come here often?" I ask curiously.

"My parents always used to bring me here after visiting my uncle in work." she replies scanning the menu. "I don't know why I look to be honest, I know what I want." she chuckles quietly. I don't know whether she was talking to me or herself.

"Oh, I just realised I have no money." I tell her breaking her attention from the thin menu.

"It's on me, I'm looking after you today so I pay."

"Thank you. I appreciate it." I smile.

"It's okay. Next time you're paying." She winks. I open my mouth but a waiter appears. He looks around our age.

"Hey Charl!" He greets which instantly makes my blood boil. Am I really getting defensive of my nurse?

"Hey Frank." She replies cheerfully but I see something different in her eyes. There's no contact whatsoever.

"The usual?"

"Please."

"And you sir?" He turns to me, pen at the ready.

"I'll have a cooked breakfast without the tomatoes and mushrooms with an orange juice."

"Coming right up." He then disappears.

"That's my exact order." Charlotte laughs lightly.

"What a coincidence. Can I ask you something?"

"Of course." She looks up waiting patiently placing the menu back where it belongs on the table.

"What's the deal with that guy?"

"Oh him?-" she gestures towards the waiter. I nod. "He used to go to school with me. He was the nerd and has had an obsession with me for years. Every time I come here he puts his number on the receipt." She rolls her eyes sighing.

"Sounds like fun."

"You have no idea."

"Here are your drinks!" Frank appears out of no where putting them in front of us. Charlotte smiles weakly at him but I stay emotionless. "Anyway, your food will be about 15 minutes. This a patient?" he asks her referring to me.

"He is not a this." she scowls unimpressed by his comment.

"I didn't mean to offend you."

"Well then you won't mind apologising to Beau then would you." she snaps.

"I am sorry for my comment Beau." he apologises looking guilty although I know it's only to please Charlotte.

"Yeah well upset me or my girl again and you die." I warn. Charlotte's head snaps up and she raises an eyebrow at me.

"Y-yeah. Your girl?"

"Frank, here now! Leave the customers in peace." a middle aged man shouts interrupting our conversation bringing our breakfast over to us.

"Thank you sir." I grin and Charlotte seconds me. He walks away ushering Frank away from us.

"Your girl?" Charlotte repeats Frank's words.

"Do you want him constantly hassling you?" I fold my arms across my chest even though I'm dying to eat my food. I haven't had a cooked breakfast in years.

"Point taken. Thank you." 

"My pleasure."

******

"Where do you want to walk to?" she asks as we leave the cafe.

"The park? I know it sounds stupid but it was one of my favourite places to go."

"Let's go then." she smiles linking arms with my once again.

"So what's your story?" she stumbles slightly looking a bit nervous and uncomfortable.

"My story?"

"Yeah, who do you live with, would be a good start?"

"I live with my uncle but before that I lived with my best friend Aurora who works in the hospital too."

"I remember meeting her. I hope you don't mind me asking, where are your parents?"

"They died. Well were murdered." like in my dream. That's weird.

"Oh." I cut myself off before I upset her.

"We don't exactly know who did it. That's why I lived with Aurora because my uncle had no space for me at the time." 

"And now you live with him?"

"For a short time. Me and Aurora are working here whilst living with him but I'm looking for a place for us to live."

"You won't leave the hospital once you find a new place will you?" I feel sad at the thought of her leaving. I don't normally get attached easily but this time I have. Maybe it's because of those dreams but I don't know. She's my rock now.

"Never." she replies squeezing my hand reassuringly.

A/N sorry for a bad update! Sixth form is tiring me out tbh! Vote&Comment! Charlie xx