Chapter 18

Beau's P.O.V

I watch Charlotte as she takes in her old house. I follow her upstairs and for the first time in years she enters her bedroom.

She doesn't speak much, I scan her room. It's exactly what you'd expect a young teenage girl's room to be like.

"It's minging isn't it." She laughs. There are posters all over the walls, it's a mess and just all in all a disaster of a bedroom.

"Little bit, bet it was nice at the time."

"Na, I didn't choose it, my dad made me have it. I put the posters up to hide the black walls."

"Why did he paint them black?"

"My nan, she believed I had darkness in me, that's why she never visited us. All the family thought I was a demon, my nan is or was, I'm not sure if she's still alive, a psychic. Apparently she saw something in my room when I was a baby. They thought I'd grow up to be some psychopath which in a way I guess I am so they were right."

She leaves the room and I follow. She turns around and I feel a sharp pain in my stomach and blood begins pouring everywhere.

"Charlotte what did you?" I drop to the floor looking up but it isn't her. It's Aurora. I was right behind her though, how can they suddenly switch like that?

Aurora disappears leaving me completely helpless on the floor.

"Beau? Beau. Beau?" a voice says from the distance. Everything goes black.

My eyes snap open and I'm in a white room with doctors stood over me.

"Nice dream Mr Brooks?" The one asks.

"Where is Charlotte?" I growl.

"Beau you're in the hospital remember? Melbourne Mental Institute. You don't know anyone called Charlotte." He smiles weakly. "Your family are here to see you..What was your dream about?"

"It wasn't a dream! I was attacked by my girlfriend, Charlotte's best friend who killed her family. Where is she?"

"Come with us." I see pity in their eyes which confuses me entirely.

I stand up following them, my eyes widen as I look down, I'm in the orange jump suit Charlotte used to have only mine is obviously bigger.

What is going on?

"Beau." my mum smiles warmly although she looks petrified as I walk into another white room with a table and chairs for my family to sit on.

"Hi mum. Why am I in here?" I'm so confused right now.

"You've been in here for a few months now, remember you killed your dad?" she keeps herself controlled as the memories all flood back.

My father was abusive and I lost it and murdered him. I blame the medication they've put me on, they give me weird dreams that seem real and short term memory loss. So Charlotte really isn't real?

"Y-yeah I remember now. My dream last night seemed so real. I wish it was." I sigh, I was a better person in that dream. 

"Dream?" Jai asks looking interested. I remember they weren't upset that I murdered our dad but it broke their hearts when I was brought here. It's all coming back now.

"Um, Beau has been having fantasies about a normal life where he's going out with a girl that is mentally insane and he's helping her get through it. I believe it's his conscience and he wants to become a good person with someone's help."