Chapter 2

The bell rang and lunch was over. Charlotte hadn't made an appearance. Some of the patients had spoken to me, they were friendly enough but I don't know how much medication they'd been given.

"Beau, let's go back up to our floor now." Sam spoke up breaking me from my thoughts.

"Uh yeah, sure." I shrugged and followed after him.

"Now, I'm going to let you give the patients their medication today. Don't panic I'll be right next to you." he smiled confidently. I simply nodded.

"How do I know who has what?"

"We have a trolley with little pots of tablets and their names are on it with the room number."

"Ah. Makes sense I guess."

I went straight towards Charlotte's room. I don't know why I'm so concerned about her but I am.

"No Beau! Don't." I spun on my heels to face him.

"What?"

"She's down with the doctor. You don't need to see her."

"Right. How come?"

"She started crying."

"So she had to see a doctor?" I scoffed. How ridiculous.

"Charlotte doesn't ever cry. Plus, you haven't been here as long as we have. We know her a lot better than you do."

"And you're sure of that?" I sneered. He didn't seem to give a crap about anyone. No wonder everyone's messed up in here.

"Of course I'm sure." he snapped back at me.

"Take that tone with me again and I'll break your legs. Understand?" I threatened grabbing him by the throat.

"Ooh, banter." a voice chuckled from the door. I instantly let go and turned around to see Charlotte stood there.

"Who let you out?" Sam demanded walking towards her.

"I uh, I was with the doctor and he sent me back up." she quickly defended looking at me for help.

He grabbed her arm and started to drag her.

"Oi, Sam! Let her go. Now." I warned.

"Fine. You take her but don't complain or scream for me when she attacks you." he scowled looking at her in disgust.

I grinned at him evilly and walked over to Charlotte. I stretched my hand out and she took it hesitantly.

"It's okay, I won't hurt you." I smiled kindly. She nodded in approval and walked with me keeping up the pace. I have pretty long legs compared to her. She's tiny, I'd say about 5'1 and I'm around 5'8 myabe taller.

"Thanks." she spoke quietly.

"Anytime." I winked. I opened her door and she walked in without any force. Her hands were shakey and she seemed unsteady. "You alright?"

"Yeah. The doctors gave me some new meds downstairs and they get to my head a bit."

"Why don't you sleep for a bit?" I suggested.

"Sleep? In this shithole. Don't make me laugh."

"How do you mean?"

"I dare you to do a night shift on the weekend then you'll understand why." she smirked lying down on her bed.

"Challenge accepted. See you after yeah?"

"Sure thing. Good luck Beau Peter Brooks." how does she know my name?

"Bye Charlotte."

I locked the door behind me and went back into the office.

"I wouldn't get too close with her Beau. She's unpredictable." Sam spoke up glaring at me.

"What's the worst she's done to you? When she's gone "loopy"." I asked him casually.

He tilted his head back a bit and pointed to a faint scar across his neck. "That's what." he replied nervously.

"When did she do that?" I quickly asked as he relaxed and stopped pointing putting his head back to normal.

"Two years ago, we took the whole ward out on a day trip and she somehow got hold of a knife and well, I ended up in intensive care for 3 months."

"Ouch. Yet you still came back?"

"Yeah, the answer to that is personal."

"Right." I nodded. "Should I still take the meds around to everyone?"

"Na, someone else did it."

"Okay cool. Hey, can I work a nightshift tonight?"

"So soon?"

"Yeah, why not." I shrugged.

"Tomorrow we're short staffed so you can do it then." he stated not looking bothered by my request.

"Oh yeah that's cool! See you tomorrow then."

"Night Beau."

"Good night."

My mum was parked outside. She gave me a warm smile as I hopped in.

"Good day?" she asked brightly.

"Yeah surprisingly! It was pretty good."

"Brilliant."

**********

"Beau, is it true you're working in the nut house?" Luke asked me.

"Yeah. But to be perfectly honest with you I think the staff are causing them to have episodes and things. They wind them up which isn't right."

"That must suck. Can we come into your work?" Jai butted in excitedly.

"I'll ask my boss. I'm doing the nightshift tomorrow."

"Cool. Made any friends?" both of their eyes lit up in curiousity.

"There was this one patient there, Charlotte. She was quite nice. The staff are all stuck up to be honest. Well that I've met."

"Charlotte what?" 

"Carter."

"Mum? Wasn't that me and Jai's old babysitter?" 

"Yes. She was a lovely girl. I don't think she's crazy, just misunderstood." she replied in a serious tone.

"What do you mean by that?" I spoke up.

"Her father was a drunk and abused both her and her mum, her brother disappeared about a year before their murder and well they found out Charlotte's mum had been having an affair."

"So she might not have killed them then?"

"I don't think she did. I think her dad killed her mum then topped himself. She was left with the mess and was mentally scarred from the abuse so they presumed it was her. That's my theory anyway."

"Maybe I'll talk to her about it."

A letter falling through the letterbox caught our attention. Jai ran and grabbed it.

"Damn it! It's for you." he moaned passing it to me.

"Uh thanks." I replied confused. I never get letters, probably another one to do with getting a job, or not.

I didn't bother reading the front, I ripped the envelope open and unfolded the paper. A puzzled look appeared on my face.

Thanks for helping me today. C x