Chapter 13

"This is where you work?" she asks looking at the pretty run down garage.

"Yeah, it isn't the best but I need the money."

"Wow. I'd rather do something illegal than work here, no offence. Why not go to college or something?"

"Babe, I was hardly ever in school." I chuckle.

"Be grateful you had the opportunity." she sighs looking down at her barely visible shoes since they're hidden under the overalls.

"Don't be sad about it, you didn't miss much." I comfort her wrapping my arm around her waist and walking into the garage.

I felt her slow down when some of the workers were in sight.

"Good morning Beau. Who's this little lady?" my boss winks at her and I feel her shuffle closer to me.

"Um, Charlotte. She's working with me today." I say quickly then drag her off to the back. "Sorry, he's a creep." I apologise putting my coat in my locker along with Charlotte's jacket.

She simply smiles and looks around. I grab her hand and take her down to my station far away from everyone. It's mostly to prevent questions being asked. She's had enough on her plate.

Well hi there caring Beau, shortly you'll turn back into a prick.

"I'm not very good at this stuff, should I just wash the cars?" she admits.

"No, we'll do them later or something. Just talk to me for a bit."

"Okay. Can I ask you questions about yourself?"

"Of course. Go on." I encourage, curious on what she wants to know.

"When are you taking me out on a date?"

"Desperate now are we." I wink clearly exposing the humour in my tone.

"I was just curious, I'll need to go shopping and buy something nice, unless we're going paintballing or something."

"I'll take you tonight. I'm finishing early today so we can go shopping and get you an outfit."

"Yay! I'm actually quite excited. Let's see if Beau Brooks is a gentleman." she winks back copying my flirting gesture. I chuckle quietly to myself as I finish repairing an engine part.

She sits silent from then on, it doesn't feel awkward but conversation would be nice.

"Anything else you'd like to know?" I push.

"Umm. Oh I know! How many serious relationships have you had?" she leans back against the wall waiting for my answer.

"Just one." I look down at the floor feeling the memories flood back.

"Oh, I shouldn't have asked. I'm sorry." I hear panic in her voice realising she's crossed the line. Unintentionally of course. For some reason I want to tell her. Maybe she'll fully open up about her past and that's something I'm curious about.

"No. I'd like to tell you." my voice lowers so no one else can hear me. She shuffles forward and sits right in front of me waiting for me to continue. "So, I went out with this girl called Katy, she seemed nice and stuff. We were together for about 3 months. I know it doesn't seem long but I'd liked her for so long, I was completely over the moon. I wasn't one of the most popular boys but I had quite a big group of friends-" I pause looking up at her. Her face has no expression, she's only concentrating on my words like nothing else is going on around us. "Anyway. We went to a party together, a house party and I went with my mates for a while. One over heard Katy saying how she couldn't continue to play along anymore. She'd been dating me for a joke. A fucking joke. I was completely crushed. That night I broke up with her saying she was awful in bed. I completely embarrassed her but I was too angry and miserable to care. After that day I became a player and just all around prick. I try to be towards you though but I can't. You're different." I smile finishing my story. She takes my hand and returns the smile.