Chapter 3

"Bye mum! Bye twins, see you tomorrow!" I yelled heading towards the front door. 

I'm slightly worried about this night shift but I'll never admit that to anyone.

"Bye Beau! Good luck!" they all shouted back.

 I took my motorbike since one of my mates had fixed it.

It took me half the time it took me to get there by car. I was glad, the longer it took me to get there the more second thoughts I got.

I strolled in passing the receptionist who gave me a disapproving look. Probably because I've turned up in a vest and shorts but it's way to hot to wear that stupid uniform. I brought a jacket just in case.

"Morning Sam!" I greeted as I walked out of the lift.

"Morning." he grumbled.

"What's up with you?"

"Bad start to the day that's all."

"Why? What happened?"

"I do a therapy session every morning and today everyone started screaming for no reason. I don't know why you've offered to do a night shift, I think you belong in one of the cells yourself." he smirked. What a terrible joke.

"Maybe because I want to see what goes on during the night after seeing how shaken up some of the patients are in the morning."

"Don't look too far into it Beau. The boss will find out and get you." he told me looking worried.

"What's he going to do? Lock me up in here? Just like you threatened." I laughed sarcastically.

"Yeah." he nodded timidly.

"So you're telling me that some of these patients aren't even mental? They were locked in here for witnessing abuse?" I asked surprised.

"Weren't mental." he corrected.  "But yes."

"Weren't? So what you're saying is that these people have become psychotic by being locked up in here?"

 "You got it Brooks."

"Don't call me that again." I snapped.

"Sorry. Oh yeah, I was supposed to tell you what you will be doing today. It's 1pm now, you'll work in the office until 6 and then you'll work on this floor making sure no one leaves and you will also be paying patients visits in their rooms to make sure no one's committed suicide whenever you're ready." he cringed on the "committed suicide" part.

"Yeah, yeah. Sure." I muttered and got to work.

******************

Finally it's 6pm. I can now leave this stupid little office and be in the open hallway. I took the keys from the cupboard and sat on the chair right at the end of the corridor.

Everyone was quiet. Sam had finally gone home so I didn't have him babbling on in my ear. 

"Hi. My name's Jenny." a female spoke standing next to me. She looks around my age. 

"Hey. I'm Beau."

"I'll be keeping you company." she smiled. To be honest she was pretty hot even though she had tons of make up on and her hair is definitely dyed blonde, her brown roots were visible. 

"Fine with me." I smiled back cheekily.

She sat next to me and everything went silent again.

"It's your second day right?" she asked.

"Yep. How long have you worked here?"

"Six months."

"Do you enjoy it?"

"It has its ups and downs." she half smiled. "I'll be back in a minute." she headed towards the lift leaving me alone again.

I reached into my pocket and found the letter off Charlotte. I unlocked her door and walked in without really making myself known. I swiftly locked it behind me. She was crouched on the floor beside the door.

"Come on, up you get." I said suddenly. She jumped in surprise but then slowly got up.

"You fancy her don't you?" she questioned standing right in front of me.

"And what if I do?"

"You're an idiot." she stated, I saw no humour, just honesty.

"Why would I be an idiot?"

"Because she sleeps with the doctors and patients here. I'm grateful I'm a girl because she's got diseases."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. Chlamydia to be precise. Some say that she has HIV too, I'm not sure about that though."

"Thanks for the warning. Oh and you're welcome." I smiled holding the letter up.

She grinned sweetly at me. "Why have you locked yourself in here?"

"So you won't do a runner."

"I wouldn't. Can I sit outside with you? I swear I won't try anything stupid."

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Please." she pleaded. "I hate being by myself all the time."

"Okay. But no running right?"

"I promise." 

I unlocked her door once again watching her in the corner of my eye. She seemed calm and relaxed. 

As she walked out she pretended to run but then stopped. "Just kidding." she chuckled, clearly amused.

"Do you like my uniform?" she asked gesturing to the orange jumpsuit. I could see her smirking. She's obviously trying to wind me up knowing who I am.

"I guess. It suits you at least."

"Thanks. What are you going to say when Jan, or whatever her name is comes back?"

"Oh shit. Good point." the elevator bell rang to signal she was coming up. "I'll send her away." I said abruptly.

I grabbed Charlotte's arm and pushed her into the office since it was closer than her room and I had locked it behind us.

Jenny walked back up the corridor. I swear she'd unbuttoned her shirt more. I saw Charlotte in the corner of my eye looking disgusted.

"I'm back." she winked. 

"I can see that." 

Her arms wrapped around my neck and she was staring at me intently. I looked around trying to avoid eye contact. 

Charlotte rolled her eyes at us and crept forward. Shit. She put her finger to her lips to tell me to be quiet. She managed to grab the keys from my pocket and started to unlock one of the doors.

A girl about her age walked out, she had really long brown hair which looked like it'd been ragged. Sam.

Charlotte pointed towards me and Jenny. The girl gave her a nod and small smile, she then began to approach us.

Before I knew what was going on the girl had Jenny in a headlock.

"You need to learn to keep your hands off other people's properties." she spat as Charlotte laughed in the background. "Charlotte saw him first so I suggest that you go to the lift and disappear before I kill you."

"O-o-okay! I'm sorry!" she cried running away, after the girl released her grip.

When she was gone Charlotte skipped towards me, "Beau, this is Aurora. Aurora, Beau."