Chapter 6

"Mum!" I yelled walking into the house closely followed by Jai.

"Yes honey? I'm in the kitchen."

"What's this about Charlotte living here? After what happened?"

"It's a trial! She has no family and is of no harm to anyone so button it! Oh and your boss rang."

"Yeah? What'd he say?"

"You're sacked." a smirk became visible on her lips.

"What did I do wrong?"

"You slept with another member of staff whilst previously allowing two, well one psychopath roam the halls. Are you stupid or something Beau!?"

"They seemed harmless at the time!"

"Do you even know why Aurora went inside? Into the hospital? Why her and Lydia are such good friends?"

"No. They didn't say."

"They believe she is the one that killed Charlotte's parents. Well father."

"Father?"

"They never found her mum's body did they? It vanished. Her blood was found on the scene though."

"Woah. So like why are they "such good-"?" my last question was soon interrupted.

"Do you think I'm a psycho now Beau?" a female voice spoke from the doorway. Charlotte was stood there in a pair of denim shorts and a plain white crop top with converses, her arms are crossed across her chest in a protective manner. She looks cute to be honest. "Can you answer my question and stop checking me out?" she asked rolling her eyes although there was amusement in her expression. I hadn't realised I'd been staring.

"I uh. I don't know. I'm still deciding."

"Well I'd keep your door locked incase I go crazy and kill you." she told me sarcastically. My mum started sniggering behind me. I noticed my dog Lala sat next to her. I stared in annoyance at the fact my dog had warmed to her already. "May I take her for a walk?" Charlotte asked innocently.

"Of course you can." my mum smiled kindly at her before I could get a word in. She walked near the back door and grabbed Lala's lead passing it to Charlotte.

"I won't be too long, I just want to see something." my mum nodded in reply and let her leave. I sighed sitting on one of the stools.

I can't work out what my feelings are towards her. One minute I have nothing but hate towards her then I'm weak at the knees. I know it sounds cliche but it's true.

*******

An hour had passed and the front door opened.  Charlotte let Lala off the lead and she ran straight to me. I scooped her up in my arms whilst Charlotte disappeared upstairs.

I'm quite a nosey guy so I slowly left the kitchen and followed her. I stopped at Luke's room when I heard crying. I edged the door open and Luke had Charlotte in his arms.

"What's wrong?" I mouthed to him. I felt my stomach tighten. People who've been in mental hospitals are normally tougher than this, especially the beatings they get, she should be acting strong.

"I don't know." he mouthed back looking worried.

"Oi, what's up shorty." I asked fully entering the room. Her crying stopped instantly and she turned to me but was still clinging onto Luke for support.

"Nothing for you to worry about."

"Go on try me."

"People just made some comments that's all." 

"About?"

"Me being a killer."

"You can't blame them." oops. What? Why did I say that? Ugh.

"See this is why I didn't want to say anything! Get out!" her almost whisper has now escalated to a shout.

"Woah, woah, woah! Calm down." Luke looked panicky. He sat her back down and gave me the worst look ever.

"Who said those things?" I spun around before leaving.

"I don't know. Some boys, they said they'd see me later."

"Shit." I muttered under my breath. I have invited a bunch of bullies over. Well done Beau. "They're my mates." I spoke up, I instantly felt guilty and awkward.

"What time are they coming over?" her voice had quietened.

"Now I think."

"Okay. If you'll excuse me I'm going back out until they've gone." she rushed past me and was out of the front door in seconds.

"Have fun with your mates Beau." Luke snarled walking past me.

"And where are you going?" I called after him.

"Away from this house and most of all away from you!" 

A silence followed after he slammed the door behind him. My mum left for work to do a night shift, she's a nurse (in a normal hospital) and was completely oblivious to what had just happened, or she was ignoring it. I don't really know.

I waved her off and slumped down next to Jai. He was pretty quiet and shifted slightly in his seat.

"What's up with you?"

"I quite like Charlotte." he stated.

"Really? Why? In what way?" I felt a twang on jealousy hit me.

"She makes you feel threatened. You act differently when she's around. And not in the way you like her." he winked at the last comment but still looked wary. I have a short fuse and he knows it.

"I don't!" yeah, so I'm in denial. Get used to it.

"Oh you do!" the doorbell rang. The boys are here. We waited for the door to open, they always let themselves in.

"Where's the psycho then?"

"Psycho girl!"

"Murderer!?" they all called out different things.

I felt anger when they started shouting those words. I know she's not here but she's near and I don't want her to hear them. 

They all took their usual seats and the table was soon filled with chinese, pizza etc.

Luke's P.O.V

"You can't stay out here all night." I told Charlotte. I felt bad for her. That's why I'm going to be her friend. Well that, and the fact she's setting me up on a date.

"I'm not going to. I have a plan if you wish to help me." she had an evil look in her eye and a grin to match.

"Okay. What is it?"

"Well-"

Beau's P.O.V 

The boys had put on some shit, scary movie and it was already halfway through.

Without any warning the tv turned off, followed by the lights. Oh great. A power cut.

I could hear footsteps approaching the living room. A scream echoed through the whole house making everyone jump. It was Luke's scream for definite.

We froze in our seats. A girls laugh came out of no where and sounded as though it was in the room. 

A light hum of a creepy nursery rhyme followed.

Suddenly all the lights turned back on blinding me. I could hear a few groans of surprise.

"So, you guys think I'm a killer?"

Charlotte.