THIRTY ONE

"Well, isn't this a sight for sore eyes!!"

At the sound of the familiar male voice, Dani looked over with a wide smile on her features as David rolled in with his wife right behind him. It had been a few days since Dani had come back to the land of the living, so she guessed that he had been given the okay by Dr.S to visit her.

"Dad!"

"Daddy!!"

The siblings shouted at the same time, which caused David's smile to brighten as he continued to roll over to them in his wheelchair.

"Hey, bubs!!.. Hey, sweetheart!!" David said as he looked from his son to his daughter.

Tears welled up in Dani's eyes at the sight of her father since the last time she had seen him was when they were both barely escaping with their lives.

"Dad," she mumbled, which made the man frown as he carefully got up from his wheelchair.

"David James!!" Michelle scolded from behind, but he gave her a playfully dismissive wave.

"Ah to Hell with those doctors!! If I want to hug my daughter, I'm going to hug my daughter!!" he said as he placed himself beside Dani after she'd moved over to give him some room, and the girl was quick to give him a tight hug that he instantly returned.

"Oh, alright...Hey, bubs, want to go get some ice cream?" Michelle dismissed him before asking Frankie, whose features lit up at the question as he quickly nodded and jumped off the bed to run over to her.

"Yeah, I want ice cream, Momma!! Bye, Ellie!! Bye Daddy!!" he said to her and turned to them with a wave before pulling his mother by the arm to the door...or at least he had tried to...

Is that what it took for him to leave? Dani thought to herself with a shake of her head.

"We'll be back later. Love you both!!" Michelle said before a small voice called out to her.

"Come on, Momma!!" Frankie grunted as he continued to pull on the woman's arm.

Michelle rolled her eyes playfully as they both walked out. "Little boy, if you don't get some patience!!" she scolded with a voice full of frustration and closed the door.

David and Dani laughed at the interaction before a sad smile took over Dani's features as she looked at her father.

"Dad," she mumbled while snuggling into his side. "You're okay!!"

"I'm okay?! What about you?!" David asked and kissed her head. "I'm so happy you're awake, baby girl!!"

Dani's lips curved into a frown as once again, that same guilty feeling she'd initially felt after waking up came creeping back in.

"I'm so sorry," she apologized with a tearful gaze.

David frowned back. "Hey, hey, shh. It's alright, sweetheart. It's not your fault," he reassured her while rubbing her arm.

Dani shook her head and said, "But if I had never gone after him in the first place-"

"Then I'd probably be dead right now, Dani," he cut her off with saddened eyes, and Dani's frown deepened at his words. "That bastard got to me as soon as I stepped outside of StoryBrooke grounds. I knew the risk I was taking when I took that assignment, but I underestimated his strength, and he used that to his advantage."

"But-"

"No, no, no, you stop that right now, young lady. I'm just happy you're here, Dani. I don't know what I'd do if we'd actually lost you," David cut her off again as he continued to hold her by his side. "I love you so much, sweetheart, and I'm so proud of you!"