ELEVEN

An odd feeling weighed over Dani as she walked back into the house. The anger still lingered, but emptiness had almost completely taken over her, and it left her feeling numb. Snapping out of her momentary trance at the feeling of arms wrapping themselves around her, Dani's eyes closed as she breathed in her mother's scent while hugging the woman tightly.

"Hi, Momma."

"Oh, Dani sweetheart, you're alright!!" Michelle exclaimed as she continued to hug her daughter.

Dani nodded and said, "I'm so sorry for running away like that. I didn't mean to scare you."

"Oh, sweetheart. It's okay. I'm just glad you're in my arms right now. Are you okay? Are you hurt?!" Michelle said before asking as she leaned back to examine her.

Dani shook her head before stiffening up as she glanced over to see David making his way towards them. Michelle frowned at the feeling as she was still holding onto her daughter but pulled away anyway to allow them to hug each other, and Dani quickly hugged the man back before pulling away.

David frowned at the girl's actions as he began to say, "Dani-"

"Where's...Where's Frankie?" she questioned while looking around. "Is he still mad at me? I swear, I didn't-"

"I know, sweetheart. We all do," David softly cut her off. "And we've talked to him about what he said. He's not mad anymore. He understands. But Dani, I really think we should-"

"I'm going to go talk to him myself," Dani said and quickly walked down the hall to go upstairs, very much aware of the sad pairs of eyes that burned into her back.

Talking about what happened before she left was the last thing Dani had wanted to do because it was exactly what she knew her parents wanted to do. She could see in their eyes how worried they were for her, and it made her feel even more guilty about the way she'd reacted. And the closer she got to her brother's room, the worse she felt as his horrified screams haunted her mind in an echo.

With a deep breath, Dani knocked on the door and turned the handle.

"Ellie?" Frankie called out as she opened the door, and he quickly hopped out of bed once he saw that it was her. "Ellie!! You're back!!"

"Hey bud," Dani greeted him while getting down on her knees to hug him. "You're not mad anymore?"

Frankie shook his head and hugged her tighter. "No. And I'm sorry I was mean to you, sissy...I was just scared. I don't like to see Daddy get hurt!"

A hard lump formed in Dani's throat before she forced it down and kissed his head. "I'm so sorry I hurt him, Frankie. And I'm even more sorry you were there to see it."

Frankie pulled back with a pout as he said, "Why are you so sad, sissy? Why'd you run away? I thought you were never coming back."

"What?!" Dani asked in disbelief. "How could you ever think a thing like that? I don't know what I'd do if I never saw my little monkey again!"

Frankie giggled as Dani picked him up and placed multiple kisses on his face while walking them over to his bed.

She then sighed while tucking him back in and asked, "Frankie...Do you remember what Momma told you about my Grandma Neenie?"

He nodded.

"Well...the bad guy that made her an angel...he's been sent home from the place I told you they put all the bad guys in," Dani explained.

Frankie frowned even more as he asked, "But why?"

Dani sucked in a breath as she shook her head and said, "I don't know, bud, but I really wish I knew."