scavenger hunt (scomiche)

Start from the beginning

They skate, talk, and have fun, for the entire time that Scott had the rink rented out for. He's very quick to leave, giving Mitch a quick kiss and saying "Don't forget to read the card!"

"You're a dork!" Mitch says.

"I'm your dork!" Scott says, exiting the rink.

Mitch grabs the card out of his pocket.

remember when i asked you to be my boyfriend? i was so nervous, afraid i didn't deserve you. hell, i still feel like i don't deserve you. but you just took my face in your hands, and kissed me, and i knew we were in it for the long run.

go to the place that i first told you i loved you. i still do. more and more every day. i love you, sweetheart.
-scotty

•••

Mitch walks into the restaurant, timid and unsure. The hostess seems to recognize him, though, and smiles. "Mr. Grassi! Mr. Hoying is waiting for you at a table, you can follow me."

Mitch thanks the hostess when she brings him to Scott's table, and he sits across from Scott.

"Glad you made it here," Scott smiles.

Mitch laughs. "It's hard to forget where you confessed your love to me."

"And why is that?" Scott asks.

"I credit that moment as the happiest I've ever been." Mitch says. "I know it's cheesy, but—"

"Wait, really?" Scott asks. "The happiest you've ever been is because of me?"

"Of course," Mitch says. "You know my mental health was never the greatest, and, wait, are you crying?"

Scott nods, and a shaky breath escapes. "I just, wow," he puts his face in his hands. "I really didn't know."

"Baby," Mitch says, and grabs Scott's hand across the table, "It's okay," he giggles.

"I just, I love you so much, and, I was so scared that you'd leave me in that moment."

"I'd be a damn idiot to leave you," Mitch says.

They eat a nice lunch, and then Scott gets a phone call.

"Scott speaking. Oh, it's ready? Great! Thanks for letting me know." He hangs up. "Lunch is already paid for, I have to go. I'll see you tonight, okay, baby?" He smiles when Mitch nods. He stands up from the table and as he passes Mitch to leave, gives him a quick kiss on his temple.

"Bye, baby," Mitch says, and doesn't realize until Scott's gone that he didn't leave a card with a clue on it for him.

Not even a minute later, Scott comes running back into the restaurant, card in hand. Mitch can't help but laugh.

"You're so stupid," Mitch laughs.

"Shut up," Scott says, handing Mitch the card, "But I really have to go. I'll see you later."

Mitch reads the card.

i'm so happy that i'm with you. you're my everything.

go to the place that we first met. i love you, honey.

-scotty

•••

Mitch walks up to the Starbucks on 5th street, and frowns when he realizes he doesn't know what to do. Scott knows that he gets pretty bad social anxiety, so he wouldn't make him walk up to the barista.

He's about to leave, when Kevin walks in.

"Mitch! I'm late, I'm sorry. Scott told me to give you this, and these," Kevin hands Mitch a card and some chocolates, "I didn't read the card, I respect y'all's privacy."

"Thanks, Kev," Mitch says, and opens the card to read it.

your fifth and final stop is at our apartment, where we'll have a wine and movie night. you always said you prefer a lazy night to a fancy dinner, but if you wanted a nice dinner tonight, i have a reservation in my back pocket.

see you soon, i love you, mitchy.

-scotty

•••

"Wine and movie night sounds so much better than a fancy dinner," Mitch says as he walks in the door. There's music playing.

"I'm glad to hear it," Scott says, pouring Mitch a glass of wine.

Mitch sips it. "How much did this cost, baby?"

"You'll yell at me if I tell you," Scott says.

"Scotty, I'm not worth all of this," Mitch laughs, he sets the glass down. "I'm just me. Just Mitch."

"You are 100% worth every bit of this." Scott says, sipping his wine. "I love you."

"I love you too." Mitch says. "Dance with me."

Scott complies, and they slow dance to the music playing in the living room space.

"Baby, I cant even begin to thank you for everything you did for me today. I love you so much."

Scott kisses Mitch's forehead. "I love you more."

"Not possible."

"Very, very possible."

They dance for a few minutes, Scott singing the words of the sappy love song into Mitch's ear. When they finally change into sweatpants and settle on the couch, Mitch feels bold.

"Scott?"

"Yeah, angel?"

"I don't have anything physical to commemorate it, but, uhh," he starts feeling shy, "Scotty..."

"I'm right here, baby," Scott says, running his thumb across Mitch's knuckles.

"Scotty, can we get married? I know I've said 'wait until we've been together for at least 3 years to discuss marriage,' but I just, I want to marry you. I love you." Mitch says.

"Yeah, Mitchy, of course we can get married," Scott nods, and leans in and kisses Mitch passionately. "I was waiting until you were ready...I've wanted to propose for a long time, baby. You're the one I want to spend the rest of my life with."

Mitch leans in and kisses Scott this time, giving him a few short kisses afterwards. "I love you."