Chapter Twenty-Two: A Separated Soul

(Jade POV)

        "NAYUMI!" I had been yelling her name for hours now, but for some reason I just couldn't reach her. I was completely trapped in the darkness. 

"Dammit!" I cursed. I punched out into the darkness, but my fist met nothing. I didn't know how long I had been here, but I knew it was too long for comfort. 

A light? I thought as a small speck of white appeared in the distance, and started to grow more. I looked at it, but there wasn't much I could do. I was suspended in air; my feet met nothing, but I didn't fall. This darkness was never ending, and that light was merely false hope. 

"Nayumi?" a familiar voice asked. 

"Who's there?" I snapped; turning away from the light. 

"You're not Nayumi." a figured appeared in front of me. 

"You look like!" I gasped. 

"Yes. I am Sesshomaru's father." he smiled. 

"Inu no Taisho." I mumbled. 

"Yes. Where is Nayumi?" he asked. 

"She's controlling my body."I sighed. 

"I see- get back!" he hissed; grabbing my arm, and turning around so his body was blocking me from whatever he saw. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, but light burst around us. 

"This isn't good." he growled. 

"What's not good?" I asked. 

"We can't let that light find you." he said; confusing me even more. 

"Why not? What is it?" I asked. 

"Come on." he grabbed my arm, and pulled me deeper into the dark. 

"Where are we going?" I asked, but continued to follow him. 

"Towards the bridge." was all he said. 

"Bridge? We're in my subconscious! How is there a bridge?' I questioned. 

"Nayumi is a reborn priestess that already had a connection the the Underworld. Trust me, there's a bridge." he chuckled. 

"It's creepy knowing dead people can wonder into my mind." I mumbled. 

"Most don't dare. The Underworld has a majority of demons, so most aren't dumb enough to cross Nayumi." he laughed. 

"What about you?'" I asked. 

"I've helped her out in the past. We've reached middle ground." he stammered over how to say it. "Get down." he pushed me to the ground, and threw his robe over me just in time for the light to pass us again. 

"What is that?" I asked. 

"That girl Sakura is trying extract your soul." he replied. 

"WHAT?!" I yelled. 

"Don't scream. She will hear you." he barked; covering my mouth with his hand. 

"Sorry." I mumbled against it. 

"I don't konw what they have planned, but-"

"I do. They're trying to put my soul in a different body. It's a deal Enma was trying to get Nayumi to agree to." I sighed, but something caught my eye. It was black too, but it was an even darker shade. 

I walked over to it, and rubbed my hand across it. 

Smooth? I thought. I pulled my fist back, and punched it.