Chapter 48

Luke and I for home late last night, and while he dozed off to sleep, I was wide awake. CYM mind was flashing though he events of the night. Luke was acting so strange, and I didn't know why, and how Niomi had looked when I saw her. I enjoyed it spending time with Luke! but something about it felt off.

*****

I woke up the next morning and Luke want there.

"you at work?" I texted him, although it was only ten.

"yes. I'll be home soon, I'm sorry I had to leave. I love you." he replied.

"I love you too." I said back, and got up.

Instead of getting breakfast, I went into the living room. I stopped right away when I saw someone sitting on the couch. I didn't make a noise, I just stood in the doorway as stiff as I could.

He turned around enough so I could see his face. It was Ashton.

"Oh, hey Ana. What's up?" He said.

I let the breath go that I was holding.

"Um...not much. W-Why are you in our flat?" I asked trying not to sound rude. It didn't work.

"Oh, I have a key. Got bored." He said, holding up his keychain with about four flat keys on it. I assumed the others were for Mikey and Cal's flats.

I took a deep breath. "Oh. I mean, okay, I guess. I'm just going to go grab a sweatshirt." I said, and turned on my heel, leaving the room.

When I got into our room, I locked the door.

"Jesus, Ashton's here and he scared the hell out of me." I texted Luke.

After a minute, he responded. "Oh, forgot to tell you he has a key. They all do. Don't worry about it, just hang around for a while. I'll be home by one."

"Okay. Love you." I said, and put my phone away.

I put Luke's flannel over the tank top I was wearing, and left again. I went back into the living room, this time slumping by Ashton.

"You're back." He said. "So...what's going on?"

I shook my head softly. "Not much, really. Luke and I went for dinner last night. He was acting a little word, but I think it was because he was nervous." I said.

"Nervous?" He asked. "Don't think he was nervous. Maybe, I don't know."

"You don't think he was nervous? I don't know. He was being really sweet, and protective. Not that's it's bad, just....I don't know." I replied.

Ash shrugged. "He's always sweet, and protective. Don't worry too much about it. How are you?" He asked.

I nodded. "I'm doing better, really." I said.

"Okay, but this time tell the truth." He said without looking at me.

I took a deep breath. "I'm fine. Everyone always accuses me of lying. I'm doing way better than I was a few weeks ago. That was the lowest point in my life, really. I hit an ultimate low and I didn't know what to do. Now I do. Be with Luke, try and be happy, stay away from people who will make me unhappy. That's all I can do, at least. No, I may not be doing great or even good, but for now at least I'm fine."

He looked at me, this time. He didn't say anything, but his eyes softened, although the look on his face was doubtful.

"Okay." He said finally.

I nodded, and we watched the television again, until he interrupted it again.

"Sorry. But I just don't know how you could be okay, you know?" He said.

I waited a moment before saying, "Well, I'm not. I don't think anyone would be. It's just that I have no choice but to try and be okay. I can't let myself get to that point, not again."

He nodded. "You have all of us, you know. And Luke, especially Luke. He love you, he won't shut up about it. You've sort of changed his whole idea of life, really. I think all he really wants is to be with you, forever." He said.

I gave him a confused look. "What do you mean, forever?" I asked.

He looked at me, shocked. "You do feel the same way, don't you?" He asked.

I thought for a moment. "I would, but there might not be a future...for me, anyways." I said, and looked down.

"No, no no you can't say something like that." He said. "You and Luke sort of have to be together forever. It doesn't matter what you think because your forever is his. I don't think he could live a life without you, now that he's met you."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I'm sure everyone could live perfectly in a world without me." I said.

"Not true. I couldn't." He said.

I didn't say anything, I just turned back to the TV.

I could.