CHAPTER 16

Lynns POV

Day 36

1 more week. That's the time Drew's mother has given him to wake up. No matter how much the doctors tried to persuade her to keep him here for longer she refused. The hospital bills were adding up and the burning hope she had fused out like a flame when the candle wick runs out. If Drew doesn't wake up before them; they have to stop treating him by law as they have to follow the family's orders.

I couldn't keep it together when she told me that. What about the patients who are in a coma for 5 months and not cut off from life support? Why haven't you, as a mother, decided that Drew is going to be one of them? Letting your own flesh and blood die for no reason at all. Mothers aren't supposed to abandon their children like this no matter how much it's costing or how long it's taking. Tristan, Tristan will be heart broken. Her youth blinds her to what has really happened and why her brother only has a week left but when the day comes for her to find out; god I don't want to even think about it. The day when Tristan finally realises what has happened here. Christina may not only lose one child by doing this.  Doesn't she see how important he is to us?

My heart clenched at the thought of him dying when I found out, everything became a blur to me. The only faint thing I could recognise was her apology and pleas for understanding her reasoning "He's too far gone Lynn, I'm so sorry. I have to let him go I can't go on like this anymore and it's ruining my life. I've been so busy being here I've forgotten about my other child Tristan; forgetting to feed her, forgetting to pick her up from school, forgetting to wake her up for school! This is taking over my life and you and I both know, no matter how in denial we are, that the probability of my son waking up lessens every day. Do you think that doesn't break my heart? That I'll never see my own son again? That I can't afford to keep my son alive? I've tried to hard to get the money to do this but I can't. There are no more chances left, there are no more shifts I can take up at work and I've even spoken to Jason, his father, but he doesn't give a damn. He doesn't care about us. He won't help me keep Drew, his own son, alive." Her cracked every other word and the emotional and mental pain in her was evident through her voice. "This has taken a lot for me to do. It's the last thing I want to do but if I don't and I keep going like this I won't be a good mother to a child that needs me; hell Jason could take her away from me if he wanted to and claim custody! And I can't lose both my babies. I can't lose my babies..."

The crying didn't stop for hours afterwards and I took her home and picked up Tristan from my house and cooked them some food. It was the least I could do for being the cause of this sh*t. I hated the anger and hatred I felt towards Drew's mother at that moment but how could I ignore it when she had decided to let him go. How could someone let him go?

My mind is so wrapped around everything that's happening in my life right now that my school grades had dropped, my friends have stopped speaking to me and my family avoid me at all costs. From my Dad to Drew and Joey, I can't keep up anymore.

I just want to forget it. Everything. I want to forget what happened to Joe, I want to forget seeing and feeling the pain on my body who my father truly was and I wanted to forget about these feelings I had. The guilt and regret I felt towards what happened to Drew was so bad a part of me wish I had never met him. How could I ever think that though? The feelings I felt for him were so much more compared to anyone else and the happiness filled every crevice in my empty body to the brim. Without Drew I'd be missing a part of myself, one I didn't know I needed one that fuelled my body with passion and desire for him and the feelings he gave me that I craved. Despite my bruised skin and broken soul, he cared for every part of me. He was there no matter what and he taught me to look forward and love myself and the people around me like I was going to lose them or myself in a matter of seconds. He taught me how to live without the fear I kept in the back of my mind I had for my father and I will forever be grateful to have those few weeks with him.

It's obvious everyone knows about Drew's accident. The way every passerby at schools looks at me with dread-filled eyes makes my stomach churn. I hate it. With a passion. The last thing I needed from people who I had never even spoken to over the course of these past four years is sympathy. The only reason they know I exist is because I had been spending time with a popular kid and who would want to be acquainted with people who only care about popularity?

This way of life was popular in this high school, and most likely every single one in the world, and to say I do not care for it would be an understatement. At the end of the day no one is going to give a sh*t if you were popular in school; what do you want a pat on the back? My once positive thoughts had turned into a hurricane of negativity and every day it seemed to get worse just like Drew's condition.

I sat in my usual spot next to his bed and held his lukewarm hands. I wanted to remember the feel of them holding my own. How our fingers moulded together perfectly and laced with so much ease. I studied every dip and wrinkles in his large hands. Every day I made sure to try and memorise as much of him as I could. I wanted to remember everything about him before he passed. I never wanted to forget him. After feeling the heartbreak of a loved one's death before, I learnt that every moment spent together was to be savoured in case it was the last. Even if he was unconscious. And this time next week will be the last moment I have with him because it's time to accept what is going to happen. No matter if Drew is all I need and no matter how much I want him to be better and alive, happy and healthy, and mine, he was leaving me for good. There will be no unconscious body as a reminder that he's still living and breathing, there will be no part of him left in this world other than in my thoughts and memories.

-------------