Chapter 36- These So Called "People"

I heard gasps and mumbles throughout the room once I had finished my sentence. Every one looked worried or they kept their eyes glued to the floor. I stood in that door way without a doubt in my mind. I knew what I had just said and I was more than serious about following through.

Rickey's chest pressed up against my back as he tried not to slam into me. The nurses must have gotten him when I had taken off running. Everything went silent as Rickey whispered in my ear. He felt for my hand and laced his fingers with mine.

My breathing was heavy and my eyes were ablaze with rage.

"What is wrong?" Rickey asked, his lips against my ear. He put his other hand on my shoulder and almost locked his body against mine. "Tell me what is wrong, Katrina." He said slightly louder. I paused and took a deep breath.

"They want to close the project for a while," I started. Rickey butted in," That's good, Kay. That's..." His voice trailed off as he realized what I had. "They want to shut it down for a while and destroy all evidence that existed so that they can start fresh. And to start fresh..." I stopped talking because I got madder the more I spoke.

Rickey finished my statement," And to start fresh, they have to discard all of the evidence. Including the patients," He took a very slow deep breath before finishing," and to do so, they have to either drug us so we aren't able to release info, or they have to kill us."

He felt me fidget and try to shake free from his grasp so he tightened his grip. I was swearing inside and screaming in my mind. I could've ripped all of their throats out with my teeth if Rickey had only let me go.

The thought of these people testing, watching, and experimenting on me and then killing me like I am a lab rat that they used from testing and now can just toss away made me infuriated. There wasn't a chance in hell that I would let these people, the so called 'People In Charge', do anything like that to me. I had a high IQ and supernatural abilities but that would not be the reason I died. I was not ready to bite the dust over something as stupid as being smarted and having special gifts.

Rickey and I stared at the group for awhile, we with enraged faces and them with looks of horror. Finally, after being held back, I spoke up, more fearless than ever.

I pointed at a man who made eye contact with nothing but the dirty, carpeted floor. "You. You have a family. In fact, you have a daughter who just turned ten. Guess how old I am? If your daughter had gifts and she just got watched and studied and tested and was now just going to be thrown away like a piece of useless trash, would you allow it?"

I pointed at another woman who sat in the corner looking from face to face around the room." And you? You just had a baby of your own and she is smart and healthy. What if they assumed that your child was like me and these so called people, as heartless and spineless as they may be, what if they were ready to just kill your baby after having a forty five minute meeting, in which all people did was try not to fall asleep and eat cheap day old doughnuts?

"I mean, all of you people. You are ready to ditch us like we are some of you crappy old files that could bring up some law suit. I think I speak for all of the people who were against our murder in saying, killing and or drugging us will not change the fact that what you are doing is going to come back around and step on your throat."

A man stood up in the back of the room and started dialing security so Rickey slid his hand down my arm and laced our fingers together on that hand. He then pulled me in tight and walked away with me in his grasp.

He just kept dragging me and dragging me until we reached a room labeled: Broom Closet. He pulled me in and locked the door behind us both. He let go of me and I back away from him once out of his grasp.

He locked his hands behind his neck and began pacing. He was saying something about how stupid I was for making another death threat against these people but I was focusing on doing something that I was working up the courage to do.

His green eyes stuck out in the darkness and they were filled with dedication, worry, and a sense of caring. He paced back and fourth in anger and frustration but I could feel his patience and compassion.

So when he turned to pace towards me again, I took a step in his direction and....

And I rammed my fist into the side of his face in one solid, swift blow.

He clapped his hand around the side of his face as he stumbled back in surprise. I shook my hand out as a sharp pain radiated throughout it. "Gahh!!! What was that for!" Rickey exclaimed. "You know exactly what that was for!" I yelled back. But then I admitted something slightly odd.

"Actually, you don't know and neither do I because I really had no reason but when you said that I thought of what a movie or book character would say and people always put something like that." I was laughing now inspite of myself.

I felt idiotic for just punching my best friend for no reason but also felt no shame and a slight tinge of pride for my right hook. Rickey giggled in a sarcastic manner and then leaned against the wall in pain.

"God, you're strong. That hurt really bad," He was tenderly rubbing the bruising area. "That's what happens when you leave a girl in a room with nobody to talk to. She gets angry, and she gets lonely, and she gets strong," I said in a giggly manner.

"And she gets very short tempered, and very quick to threaten a life," He said seriously. "Hey, they were threatening not just my life but yours and I am not ready to die over being a sarcastic, genius, supernaturally gifted, flippen amazing girl. So, I am quick to do anything to defend my own life."

Rickey said nothing in response. He only sunk to the floor and sat against the door with a hand on his purplish, red cheek. "Sorry, for punching you," I said quietly. "Nah, I kinda deserved it. I have been stressed and so have you, so you needed someone to hurt and I need a punch in the face to get back into reality.

"Our worlds are falling apart and now we have to deal with Damian and saving the world. It's amazing how in one day, our lives and turn to total crap." "But to be honest, our lives are already crap. That was just icing on the cake." I looked to him after finishing my sentence and he only gave me a half hearted smile.

We sat in that closet for a good long while just staring into the blank, blackness that filled the room. We had no concerns about the outside world. We simply sat and soaked in the easiness of just sitting alone because it was one rare time a day that we had serene peace in this hospital.

Sure, we like to stare out the big window in silence but we had never truly been alone or in a quiet place.

I was thinking, at first, about how awful I must have sounded. I walked into a room and threatened lives to save my own so I began to wonder if Damian would affect me directly. I was warned that he could destroy so many things if I let him but I was never told how.

I began to wonder if Damian would destroy so much through himself and his own actions or if his mere presence and violent reality was enough to destroy even me.  Enough to destroy the world.