Chapter 14- Behind The Elevator Doors

The elevator doors slid open and on the other side was a flood of people. Two faces in the crowd pulled my attention away from the abundance of commotion.

First to catch my eye was Kathy. Her face was polished with just enough makeup, no blemishes on her face, perfect clothes, and her beaming smile with her raised dark eyebrows.

Kathy is so different from the rest of my family. She has brown hair and yellowy, green eyes. She cut it short when she had her baby so it rounds of by her chin. And then her bronze skin finished the pure beauty with a golden glow.

I look like my mom with black hair, thin eyebrows, skinny as humanly possible, with a narrow face, and piercing green irises.

I hate looking like my mom. She told me that I am a shameful thing to have around and that she hates that people notice our matching features. I don't feel like her child because she doesn't really treat me like I am.

But of coarse, the ashamed face, coated in foundation much to dark for her pail skin, of my mother was standing near but not by Kathy.

Most kids would dash for their mom and leap into her arms but as you can tell, I am not most kids. I gave her a cold glare of distaste and disgust.

She has thin lips unlike me but we still look the same. As normal, she kept her annoyed looking thin line grin on orange her face.

I looked away and scanned for Kathy again. She stood out in the crowd. Her face looked more worried than anyone I had every seen so it looked a lot more scared than anyone in that room.

I ran in a dead sprint for her. James grabbed my arm and pulled my back saying," No! You can't run out there."

I was angry. A million miles couldn't keep me from my sister.

" Really cause I can and I will." I pointed at the wall and when James turned to see the nothing that I was pointing at he was distracted enough that I could shake free and get to Kathy.

When got to her and wrapped my arms round her skinny waist. "Kay-baby!" She exclaimed.

Her calling me that made me feel ten times better. Her voice could calm even the stormiest seas. I often teased and called her 'Jesus Voice' but she wasn't one to react in any other way than laughing.

I hugged her for what seemed like hours. I wanted to stay in her arms for years but my time in happiness was cut short by James pulling me back. I wanted to kick and scream but held it in with the last shred of decency left in my body. James hands were strong and big, latched on to my shoulders with an iron grip. I decide that I shouldn't use Xander to fix my problem so I gave into the grasp of the strong hands.

Kathy had a sad face as if she felt the same happiness holding me as I felt being held, being stripped away. She had cared for me since I was three when my mom went all psycho and was never home after the divorce. Kathy and I needed each other like a human needs air. She was my safe haven in the life I suffered through.

James had pulled me back several feet and then kept going. "Get off!" I screamed, shaking him off. "You can't have contact with family and friends right now." He replied grabbing me again.

"If you weren't such an butt head about it and just asked me I would just come. I am five but a lot more reasonable than you would think. Now get your hands off me before I beat you senseless." I looked at him with a steel expression.

"This is why you don't get contact. You get violent," His statement set fire to my insides. "I get protective. I lost my dad, my mom , my siblings. You wouldn't be able to stand up and walk around with my family issues. Kathy is the only real family I have because my mom ditched after the divorce.

"So I get violent because it is the most horrifying thought to imagine everyone who I love taken away."

James hard look didn't soften. I was tired and in pain but I needed to leave this situation so I decided to convince all the people in the room, with the help of Xander, to leave including Kathy so I could go to my room and sleep.

James went along with the process. He didn't, however, like me just walking away and going to my room. But in all reality, he couldn't stop me.

When I entered my room, so did James. I sat down on my bed, exhausted as ever, and stared at him. "Tell me everything you want from me. I will talk to doctors but my answers are my answers so if I say something they don't like, there is really nothing I can do about it. So tell me what you want."

James sat in a chair by the door of my room. "You are here to be studied and helped like every other patient in this hospital." "Bull." I said in his pause after his statement. "Look Katrina, you are here to be studied because a lot of people are..." He stopped for a moment.

"A lot of people are what? Scared? Interested? Intrigued? Fascinated? You people are sick. I am a child as in like a human being. No more crap; give me someone who will tell me the truth."

My voice was serious and stern.

Just when James opened his mouth to begin speaking, someone busted through my door. It was Kathy. She ran to me with speed and wrapped herself tightly around me. I could sense her sadness, confusion, and heart-ache. I could feel her angry and sad tears.

"Kay-Kay. I am so sorry I haven't come to see you. They wouldn't let me see you." She said between quivering sad breaths. She didn't release her grip on me. I began to cry; she gave me a surge of mixed emotions that were uncontrollable.

But once again, all to soon, a guard came to pry her off of me. She was kicking and thrashing relentlessly. Her crying was gut wrenching. My eyes were fixed on her and I was oblivious to anything other than my big sister, my only family left.

When I could no longer hear my sister yelling, I peeled my eyes off of the door and looked for James. He was gone. He must have left during the commotion.

Now I was left alone in my room. I really didn't want to be alone, I wanted answers but I was to tired to dig around and find answers in others minds. But regardless, I was alone in that silent white prison of a room.

So I went straight to sleep after about five minutes. I was peaceful for maybe an hour but right when my mind began believing I could get a normal sleep, the dreams hit.