Chapter 44- Not Because They Are Family

I pulled Damian back as he tried to go at the man pulling himself off the floor. The mans nose was bleeding but contained. I put my lips to Damian's ear and whispered,"Come over here, now." I grabbed his wrist and Damian followed.

"What just happened!?!" I demanded. "That guy out there-" I interrupted "I know that is your brother and your reason for being in juvi but explain to me why you pinned him down and started beating him senseless. And worst of all in an asylum!"

I could see laughter began to rise in Damian and I knew that it was in spite of himself, but no laughter escaped his lips. Instead, Damian told exactly what happened. I hadn't known that Damian had a brother and I didn't know why Damian was in baby jail.

"When I was ten, my brother robbed three stores and then when the cops came after him, he planted the money from the cash registers by me and when the cops came to us I got pulled in and my brother pinned everything on me. He got off clean, said it was all me and that was that. My brother got greedy and then ended up getting me put in juvi.

"Doesn't sound that serious but I when I was taken into juvi, I attacked a security guard and that got me more time and then I assaulted a kid and apparently that is wrong so I got in more trouble for that."

Damian wouldn't look at me. He seemed pained to lift his eyes from the floor.

I grabbed his hand and his eyes shot up to mine. "Your brother was jerk and you got framed so let's go out and face what just happened." I started pulling Damian towards the scene but he pulled back.

"That brother was the meanest of the three of us. He was always high and yelling and pushing me around. He showed up and wanted to take me back to the dump we call a house and acted as if everything was fine. I don't want to be around him."

I smiled up at him," my sister showed up for the first time in years and I punched her in the face. Then she slapped me across the face and said goodbye. And then, she showed up with a boyfriend and the little brother that I didn't know I had. I don't want to be around her either but she shows up either way.

"We have to put up with these people but not because they are family and not because we love them but because we just have too. It is something we have to get over. Now let's go out there, hope to god you don't get punished for attacking your brother and then move on."

Damian sighed heavily but walked with me over to where his brother and a few orderlies were. "Damian? Please come with me," a doctor, who I didn't know was standing there, said impatiently.

Damian suddenly grabbed wrist and took a step away from the doctor. Maybe he didn't like the doctor. Or maybe it was the man who had joined his brother in the back ground.

"Damian," I whispered," Xander and I know exactly what they want. Just stay calm and I will take care of the rest." I knew that why I said calmed Damian but he was still on edge.

I laced my fingers in his and we started walking with the doctor. Damian refused to lift his gaze from the floor, especially when we passed the two men who had come in.

Everything felt good at that point. I know I am ten, but holding a guys hand was like the coolest thing ever. I wasn't like in love or anything. I was way to intelligent to fall in love. Having Xander made emotions know to me even if I hadn't experienced them. In a weird way, it was like X was my wise old grandfather. If that makes any sense.

But my moment was spoiled when Rickey shot me a look of disgust. I hadn't realized him staring at me from his room. I was half tempted to drop Damian's hand and half tempted to flip Rickey off but I decided I would look forward. Damian needed me.

Damian needed me.

I simply rolled my eyes and stared in the direction of our destination. I know what you are thinking; you are ten and holding hands with a dangerous boy in an asylum. Well, I am kinda as mature as it gets but I know it's kinda weird. But then again, my life is weird. I dream of how horrible this boy is going to be in my life but my fingers are still twisted with his.

So we got to a little room a floor down and walked in. I tried to drop Damian's hand but he wouldn't release. So we sat down and here the time came. Damian now had to face people he didn't want to.

But like I said... It's not cause they are family. We do it because we have to.