mr. payne: the mob boss [book 2]

enjoy this late christmas present from me i really hope you enjoy this 🥳

— — — —

"Are you completely sure about this, Malik?"

Zayn lets out a hard sigh and rolls his eyes before turning around and slapping on a fake smile on his face. He nods his head slowly as he stares at his captain — Gregory Smith — who's still looking at him with a unsure expression. He knows exactly why his captain isn't quick to agree to zayn's proposal but he doesn't say anything that will further hurt his chances at getting this assignment.

Every other cop and detective in the squad are looking right at him and captain smith, not even bothering to hide that they're all listening in on the conversation. He looks behind his captain and sees two cops zayn despises with everything in him talking with stone expressions on their face as they take glances at him.

"Look," Zayn sighs, making his captain stare back at him with a raised brow. He steels himself and stands completely straight to show that he wants this more than anything. "The only way we can get close to them is with an omega. I'm the best damn omega detective this squad has and I know how to do my job, just — let me have this, please, Captain."

Zayn has learned to ignore the ignorant talk that always follows him when it's been established that he's an omega. He's been dealing with the scrutiny from fellow cops and detectives alike who have looked down on him since he's joined the police academy almost four years ago, just because he's an omega.

It's a no brainer that there are more alphas in the police force than omegas — Zayn gets reminded of this fact every chance he gets by said alphas. But it's cases exactly like this one that give omega detectives the upper hand in undercover work.

"You send an alpha in to do this assignment and you know they're dead for even trying to come into their business and betas won't be able to gain any trust from them unless they've been around for more than five years. I'm the best detective for this case."

Zayn makes his case and he waits patiently for his captain to say something but he just continues to stare down at the file in his hand. He doesn't get anything from his captain for a whole three minutes— three minutes Zayn spent just biting his bottom lip and ignoring the hard glares.

Finally though, his captain lets out a long sigh before he's throwing the file on Zayn's desk and nodding his head towards their conference room. "Conference room in 10 minutes to get you briefed on everything you need to know about this assignment."

Zayn catches the file before he's turning back to his desk and trying to mask the big smile that's trying to show on his face. He's buzzing now, because he's been trying to get this case from his captain for more than two weeks now. He's so glad he's finally got him to agree to let Zayn go undercover for this.

Zayn collects all of his own notes on the case and ignores the stares he can feel from behind him and the quiet murmurs that follow. He's not going to let any of these alpha detectives ruin his mood just because they think Zayn's not qualified enough for this case.

They are completely wrong anyways because Zayn's studied everything there is to know about this case as soon as they gathered the information.

So if anyone is qualified enough to finally take down the notorious mob boss, Liam Payne, it's Zayn.

— — — —

He takes a deep breath and looks himself over in the visor mirror one last time before he's turning his car off and finally stepping out. Zayn looks around the half full parking lot slyly before walking towards the building in front of him. He takes a look at the sign out front on the building and even though he already knew the name, it still makes him smile as he looks at the cute design.