thirty six

Zayn can't stop looking over at Liam as he drives them to wherever he's got planned for them. He's holding on to the older man's left hand as the other holds the wheel. Liam's paying attention to the road ahead of them but all Zayn can look at is the older man. He's got a small smile on his face as he gazes at Liam for a few minutes before looking out the window and then repeating his actions.

He still has no idea where they're headed and he's more than curious seeing as Liam didn't even ask him to wear anything fancy. He's tried asking the older man about their date but Liam just smiles and shakes his head.

Zayn can tell that he's nervous though — catches the way Liam bites his bottom lip and the nervous glance he gets when he catches Zayn looking at him.

They drive for almost thirty minutes before Liam finally stops his car at a supermarket. Zayn looks out of the window with furrowed brows before turning to look at Liam. The older man is already gazing at him with a sheepish smile on his face.

"There's really not much to do here that I thought was — nice enough for our date but," Liam takes a deep breath and chuckles. "There was a nice park that I drove by when getting here. I thought — a picnic?"

Zayn grins — nods his head in agreement because a picnic with just the two of them sounds perfect to him. It's romantic also — the two of them alone as they just talk and talk to each other.

"That sounds perfect — I like that, just the two of us together," Zayn murmurs to him, feeling his chest flutter when he sees the grin he gets in reply from the older man.

Liam nods his head, "I — I was going to have everything ready for you in a nice basket but — then I thought it'd be better if we get what we want together."

"How domestic, shopping for food together," Zayn states, grinning wide when Liam's cheeks flush and he chuckles.

Before Liam can open his door, his hand goes to his shoulder to stop him. As soon as Liam is looking at him, he leans his head forward and connects their lips together.

When they pull away, Zayn smiles as his hand runs over Liam's full beard. "You don't know how happy I am right now."

"For a picnic," Liam murmurs, teasing him as he smirks.

Zayn rolls his eyes fondly, "To finally be here with you, going on our first official date."

Liam grins and nods his head in agreement as he stares at Zayn, his eyes gazing over every inch of his face. "I'm happy too, being here — with you is making me the happiest I've been."

Zayn wants to pull him in for another kiss and then never leave the car, knows that if he does kiss him again he isn't going to want to leave. So, he presses a kiss chaste kiss to Liam's lips before grinning and opening his door.

He waits for Liam who automatically connects their hands together, tangling his fingers with Zayn's as they walk into the supermarket. He's never been here and it isn't as filled with people as he would have thought. He looks to Liam who's too busy grabbing a cart and then making his way back to Zayn.

"So, anything specific you'd like?" Liam asks as his eyes scan over the place. He looks back to Zayn, staring down at the younger boy with a raised brow and a smile.

Zayn shrugs before grinning — his eyes scan through the aisles, trying to get a peek of each before finding the one he wants. He turns to Liam and gives him a wink before leading the way towards the aisle that's filled with junk food.

Liam snorts when they reach the aisle, watching in amusement as Zayn starts reaching out for a bag of chips and then going for a pack of chocolate covered pretzels. He just continues to grin as Zayn picks out everything he wants before he's turning around and sending a look at him.