twenty seven

Zayn knows it's wrong of him to try and get Liam back — especially after he was the one who broke up with the older man. He can't help it though; he broke up with Liam so he can save his relationship with his son, knows that it would crush Liam if his and Dylan's relationship was ruined.

After seeing him in the store though — after not seeing or talking to the man in months — Zayn felt all of the emotions he was pushing down, come back up full force. All he could remember was being with Liam and feeling happy and complete when they were together.

He doesn't know what he's going to do because he also knows it would be wrong of him to talk to Liam again when he's already with someone. He tells himself that as long as he doesn't flirt or try something ridiculous with the older man, it would be okay if he just talked to the man again.

First, though, he needs to actually get Liam to agree with meeting with him to talk. He's not entirely sure the older man will agree to meet up with him and that makes Zayn nervous.

"Zayn?"

He breaks out of his thoughts and sits up from where he was laying on the sofa and staring up blankly at the ceiling. He looks at his mom who's staring curiously at him, frowning after seeing him just staring blankly up at the ceiling. "Are you okay, sweetheart?"

Zayn nods his head and sends a small smile to his mom to reassure her that he's fine. She's still looking at him with concern and before he can even think it through he's opening his mouth. "I do have to tell you something though."

"Okay," She nods her head slowly and takes a seat on the chair in front of the sofa. She stares at him expectantly and he can also see she's nervous or even scared to hear what he has to say.

"Remember when you and dad asked what was wrong with me last summer when I didn't—" He cuts himself off and takes a deep breath because he's not even sure what he's telling his mom right now.

"When you didn't want to leave your room and you were very moody and miserable?" His mom finishes, raising a brow.

"Uh yeah, yeah. I — it was because — I was in a relationship." He blurts out, wringing his hands together nervously.

He's never really talked about his relationships with his parents but he knows that this needs to be said. He knows that if — and that's a big if after seeing Liam in another relationship — he and Liam ever get back together, the older man would be more comfortable if his parents knew about them.

His mom is nodding but she doesn't say anything because she's probably confused as to why he's even saying anything.

"We broke up though because — " He lets out a breath and thinks about how he's supposed to tell her everything. "He was older than me."

His mom looks at him curiously, "Older as in — college older?"

Zayn shakes his head. He takes a deep breath before replying back to his mom. "He was — 36."

He's not looking at his mom, instead, he's looking down at the floor but he can hear the sharp breath his mom takes after hearing the age. He starts to get really nervous now.

"Zayn that — I wasn't expecting that."

He nods his head and looks up at his mom who's staring at him with wide eyes and shock all over her face. He frowns, "I know but — it wasn't like it was — I was eighteen mom."