twenty nine

Zayn is staring at the older man in shock — in disbelief at what's just come out of his mouth. He can't hear anything but those words playing over and over in his head. "What?"

Liam just blinks before looking back at his television screen. Zayn is starting to freak though and it's not jus because of what he's said but also because he has no idea what's wrong with the other man.

So he walks right in front of Liam and then gets on his knees to be eye to eye with the older man. He's slowly rubbing his hands on Liam's sweatpants clad knees, trying to get the man to focus on him.

When he finally does, Zayn frowns before speaking up. "Liam, what's going on?" His voice is soft and slow to make sure Liam can focus on his voice.

Liam lets out a chuckle, "What's not going on is the better question."

Zayn really isn't the least bit satisfied with the answer he gets so he just lets out a small sigh and tries to catch Liam's gaze again. "Liam?"

The older man looks down at him — just continues to stare at him for the next few moments before he's opening his mouth. "My life's a fucking joke."

Zayn is startled by his answer and he's left staring with his mouth wide open. He really was not expecting that to come out of Liam's mouth.

If anyone's life is a joke then it's Zayn's. He's still in love with the man who he broke up with only because Zayn didn't want Liam to worry about potential drama with his son and ex husband. Now, Liam's gone and got a whole new boyfriend and asking if it's too soon to have a child with said boyfriend. He can still hear his heart shattering in his chest after Liam asks that question.

Zayn still knows that breaking up with Liam at the time was the right thing to do. He would never forgive himself if he was the sole reason that Liam no longer talked to his own son. He did not want to take that away from Liam.

"It's not," Zayn murmurs softly, his hand rubbing up and down Liam's leg. He feels a bit happy when he sees Liam's eyes go straight to his leg and he just stares at Zayn's hand. "Your life's not a joke."

Liam snorts and shakes his head, "You don't even know what I've been through these past two days. It's been the fucking worst."

"What? What's going on with you, Liam?"

Liam takes a deep breath and Zayn is concerned when he sees the older man's eyes fill with tears before he's wiping them away. "I've spent the last eighteen years of my life dedicating all I have to my son, y'know?"

Zayn tenses at the mention of Dylan but he isn't too surprised by it. It was obvious that whatever had Liam like this had to do with Jack and/or Dylan seeing as Zayn found him watching old home videos of Dylan.

He opens his mouth to reply but Liam doesn't let him, speaks up before Zayn can. "I've— we've had our differences, obviously but—"

Liam cuts himself off and sniffles as he wipes the tears that have fallen down his face. Zayn reaches up to wipe them away but Liam moves his head away and that sends a stab to Zayn's heart. He doesn't know why Liam moved his head away and he's hoping it only has to do with not wanting Zayn to see him cry and not because Liam actually doesn't want Zayn to touch him (even though Zayn's currently touching both of his thighs).

"I found out Dylan wasn't mine on Sunday," Liam blurts out roughly, successfully making Zayn freeze in shock.

"What?" Zayn hisses out — shocked and confused by what's just left Liam's mouth. There's no way what he's just said can be true. "What the — What are you talking about?"