twenty three

IS IT WORKING? 😭

— — — — —

Zayn leaves the school immediately after ending the phone call with Liam. He sent a message to Harry and told him to take his backpack for him that he left hastily when he got the call. He made sure to be extra careful while leaving his school because if any teachers or staff caught him skipping out on school early, he'd get into trouble. His principal would also call his parents and Zayn definitely did not want to get grounded any time soon.

He arrives at the hospital almost a whole thirty minutes later and wastes no time heading for the elevator, pressing the button for the third floor. As soon as he gets to the third floor he heads into the direction of room 213 and Zayn has to calm himself down. His heart is beating rapidly in his chest – he's so nervous to see Liam.

He knocks on the door, hears a muffled come in and takes a deep breath as he opens the door and walks into Liam's hospital room. As soon as Zayn walks in their eyes meet then Liam's smiling softly as he lays back and —

Zayn starts crying, tears falling from his eyes briskly as he stares at Liam's face — there's cuts on the left side of his face and his bottom lip has a small split right down the middle. He's crying and he can't stop as he stares at Liam who's holding out his hand for him with a frown.

"Baby," Liam murmurs quietly as Zayn walks towards him. His hand quickly tangles together with Liam's and he's sniffling as he looks down at Liam. Zayn can see his right lower leg in a cast and he frowns because he thought it was just his head that was hurt but it looks like his leg is hurt also or something.

"How's— your head? Are you okay?" Zayn asks, his hand reaching out to run his fingers over the plaster on his head but he stops. He doesn't want to cause pain to Liam so he drops his hand.

Liam hums and nods his head slowly, "I'm good baby, everything's fine with me. The doctors caught the bleeding just in time."

Zayn nods his head, wipes under his eyes before motioning towards his leg. "What's wrong with your leg?"

Liam lets out a sigh, "A very bad sprain on my ankle is all. I have to wear this cast for ten days."

Zayn's silent after that just staring down at the cast on the older man's leg. He can feel Liam's hand running up and down his arm but he just can't look at Liam without wanting to cry again.

"Hey," Liam taps his finger against Zayn's arm trying to get his attention.

Zayn looks up and frowns as his eyes roam over Liam's face. "You okay?" Liam asks softly.

Zayn shakes his head and tears build up in his eyes again, "I was so scared, Liam." He mumbles, letting the older man pull him so that he's laying down right beside him. Zayn makes sure he isn't touching against Liam, only his arm around his waist as he cries and lets Liam soothe him.

"I know baby, but I'm okay. I promise I'm okay," Liam whispers, pressing a kiss to the top of Zayn's head.

"Jack and Dylan — they didn't let me in to see you and I was so scared because I didn't know anything and I just wanted to make sure you were okay," falls out of Zayn's mouth and now he's nervous because he has to tell Liam that they know about the two of them and their relationship. Zayn really doesn't want to tell Liam right now, especially not now that he's going through all this but he knows he needs to tell him.

"I don't know why they would do that–"

"They know," Zayn blurts out, picking his head up to tearfully stares up at Liam. The older man brings his hand under his eye and wipes away the tears. "They know about us. I don't– I'm sorry."