thirty four

Zayn can't believe that after all these months,  of purposely ignoring the other boy, he (and Harry) is finally (unfortunately) face to face with Louis Tomlinson again.

He honestly never thought about how he would feel or what he would do when he came in contact with Louis again. He was pretty stupid to believe that he wouldn't ever see him again after graduation.

Now, seeing him again for the first time since their high school graduation has just brought up all the events that happened between them last year. He doesn't want to remember any of it though — he thought he moved passed all of it but apparently he's just pushed it to the far back of his mind.

Zayn doesn't want to fight over it anymore — or even talk about it really. He just wants to continue to move past it like he has been with Liam and Harry doing the same. He's also really hoping that Louis doesn't get the idea that this is the time and place to bring any of their mess up, especially not in front of Liam's friend.

Hopefully (though he knows it's probably not gonna happen) he can get through this meeting without Louis saying anything about that or to him. Zayn does not want to ruin the day — the first day in weeks that he's finally seeing Liam in person. He is not going to let Louis ruin this happy day for him and Liam.

He's staring at the other boy with narrowed eyes while Harry's glaring at him. Louis is ignoring their gazes though, keeps his eyes on Niall who's looking between the three of them with curiosity.

"What's going on?" Niall asks, looking at Liam who Zayn can feel shrugs beside him while his hand rubs Zayn's back up and down slowly.

He doesn't really know how he's supposed to explain to Niall that Louis is bad news, that he's a fucking jerk that shouldn't even be here right now. Like always, he's ruining anything happy in Zayn's life and that pisses him off. He knows he isn't going to say any of that now — knows it will just ruin everything if he says anything like that to Niall who seems to get along well with Louis.

Liam clears his throat but Niall is the one who speaks up as he motions for Louis to take a seat on the free chair at their table. "Alright, how do you guys know Louis then?"

"How do you know him?" Harry asks back as soon as Niall's finished speaking, turning his gaze to the blonde who just smirks and shrugs.

"We met at a music festival I was working like three months ago, he was trying to sneak in and I was working security and well y'know," Niall tells them, grinning when he sees Louis blush and then groan at the retelling of their first meeting.

Zayn doesn't say anything just moves his gaze to Liam beside him, who's already looking at him with concern. Zayn frowns and shakes his head at him,?doesn't want to show how upset and angry he is at seeing his ex friend at the table with them. So, he just shrugs his shoulders and hopes that settles Liam's nerves enough.

He's not clear as to what's the best thing to do right now — all he really wants is to grab Liam's hand and leave this place. He just wants to be alone with Liam right now — get away from Louis as soon as possible.

"Zayn and I knew him in high school," Harry spits out, making Zayn turn his head towards his best friend and raise an eyebrow.

Louis snorts at that and looks at Harry with narrowed eyes, "We were friends — best friends, Harry. Quit downplay—"

"Yeah," Harry shrugs and shakes his head, "We were until you fucked both of us over with your bullshit."

"My bullshit? Last I remember, Zayn was just as responsible for everything," Louis replies, looking straight at Zayn who tenses up.