Twenty Three

About a year later

Castiel had always been about helping others, he decided to become a doctor and treat the ill. He also liked to help the homeless and the orphans regularly and he donated to charity and went to many charity events.

Dean didn't know what he wanted to do so he decided to open a record store. He was in his store most of the day and on breaks Castiel would come and visit, his store was very popular but small. He sold rock, alternative and nostalgic music. Sometimes he would come along to charity events with Castiel if he could be bothered. Fridays were Dean and Castiel's dedicated film night, they would stay in their apartment and watch Netflix all night until Castiel fell asleep as he was always exhausted after work. Castiel's favourite was still Dumbo but he had grown an obsession with Finding Nemo.

Their lives were going perfectly and to plan. Castiel hadn't seen his father or Raphael in the past year, him and Gabriel had been working on their bond and Sam and Dean were closer than ever. Castiel was truly happy though the depressed and broken boy still lingered deep inside, waiting to erupt like a volcano.

-

Castiel opened the door to the apartment and flopped on the sofa. He looked around and breathed in the scent of his lavenders.
"You're home early." Dean said, surprised
"Yes, they let me leave early as I have been working so hard all week." Castiel smiled, Dean smiled back. He loved it when Castiel got off of work early.
"Let's go and grab dinner." Dean said grabbing the keys off of the counter
"Yes!" Castiel exclaimed. He threw on his trench coat and they rushed out of the door.

Dean parked outside of the town and they walked around for a bit deciding where to go.
"Hey Cas. I've never taken you out for dinner have I. What's your favourite restaurant?" Dean asked
"Giraffe!" Castiel exclaimed, pointing at the building
"Let's go to Giraffe then." Dean laughed. He held open the door for Castiel and they walked in. A waitress took them to a table of two and she placed a rose on the table. They sat in awkward silence looking at each other and away again.
"So what would you like to order?" Dean asked looking at the menu
"Spaghetti!" Castiel said excitedly
"I think I might get steak or something." Dean smiled, he held Castiel's hands and they sat talking for a while waiting for their food. Dean's steak came and then Castiel's spaghetti came after. Castiel shoved a massive ball of spaghetti in his mouth and struggled to chew it, Dean found this hilarious and started taking picture of him which Castiel wasn't happy about. This made him look even funnier Dean thought.

Once they had finished their food Dean started sweating and getting nervous and his nostrils started flaring.
"Dean are you okay? When your nostrils flare it usually means you have trouble breathing or you are upset." Castiel worried.
"N-No it's just that I have something to ask you." Dean stammered, hesitantly. He grabbed Castiel's arm and pulled him off the chair, they were both standing staring at eachother.
"Here goes nothing." Dean muttered, breathing heavily. He kneeled down on the floor.

"Castiel Novak. We may have only known each other for 2 years now but it feels like forever. You have changed me as a person in a great way and I'm thankful for that. I love you with all my heart and I don't think I'll ever regret this." He started. Dean pulled a small box out of his pocket and opened it
"Castiel. Will you marry me?" Dean asked. Everyone in the restaurant went silent and was staring. Castiel sighed, there was silence for a moment
"Sorry Cas I should have-"
"Yes." Castiel interrupted. Dean smiled and stood back up, placing the engagement ring above the promise ring he gave Castiel last year. Everyone in the restaurant started clapping and Castiel embraces Dean.
"This is the best day of my life." Dean whispered to him
"Me too Dean. I'm so excited." Castiel whispered back. Dean started crying tears of happiness, he always had commitment issues and he finally found the one to stay with him forever. Castiel was his soulmate and he thanked god everyday for his precious soul and pure, kind heart.
"You're everything to me." Dean smiled, hugging him tighter.

They were back in the impala and Castiel was gazing at the ring on his finger. It was beautiful, it was silver and it had tiny diamonds dotted on it, some people could have thought it was boring but it was everything to Cas.
"You are awfully quiet." Dean said happily
"This ring is beautiful Dean." Castiel smiled
"That's great, I was really hesitant about this." Dean confessed
"I'm glad you did it Dean." Castiel smiled

When they got back to their apartment Castiel fell straight asleep but Dean sat awake, bored. He got out his phone
calling Sammy...
connecting to Sammy...
"What do you want" Sam grumbled, tiredly
"No need to sound so angry Sam." Dean laughed
"You woke me up. If this was you in this situation you'd be fuming." Sam said, wiping his eyes with his hand
"Yeah. You look exhausted." Dean chuckled
"What do you want Dean?"
"I proposed to Cas." Dean smiled
"Cool." Sam started
"Wait WHAT?" He shouted when Dean's words processed in his mind, Dean laughed.
"This is amazing Dean. I'm so happy for you!" Sam exclaimed. Castiel sat up
"What is going on here?" He muttered, exhausted
"You and Dean are getting married!" Sam shouted, excited
"I know Sam." Castiel grumbled laying back down on his side.
"I'll have to be going now Sammy." Dean smiled, ruffling Castiel's hair.
"Bye Dean." Sam said, waving. The FaceTime call ended and Dean laid down and put his arm around Castiel
"You're cute with messy hair." Dean whispered, Castiel smiled and they fell asleep.