Chapter 23.3 - Ilena

"My father didn't surrender, does that mean you have to kill him now?" Sergio inquires of me and Lues, true concern now appearing. "What about my fianceé?"

"Marianne Kashvena?" I ask, making sure that my understanding of the arrangement is complete. Sergio nods.

Sergio and Marianne's engagement is why Eri was allied with Carber, because the heir to their duke was due to wed Sergio. House Kashvena is in charge of the duchy of Eri. Duke Zerxis and Duchess Julyanna being Eri's liege lords, and the Countess Marianne being their future liege.

Carber and the Kashvena family were the main antagonists of this betrayal. Marianne is now in the besieged capital, locked in a castle with a malicious traitor who will stop at nothing to destroy the Conclamata family out of sheer jealousy. The fact that Sergio seems concerned for the girls life is somewhat comforting. His father's coldness and lack of familial loyalty is apparently not hereditary.

"We'll try not to hurt either of them, but it mostly depends on how much they resist," Katlyn assures Sergio who nods with relief.

"Your majesty, your highnesses, sirs and ma'ams, Major General Ischyros Mellon is here to see you," a herald announces, opening the flap of the tent.

A young looking makraz walks into the tent. He bows to Lues, then salutes to myself and Katlyn. His copper hair is greasy, dusty with the wear of fighting. His tanned face is as young looking as when I first met him all those decades ago.

"Ischyros, it's good to see you again," Katlyn says honestly to the male.

"The pleasure is mine I'm sure," he responds plainly. "Your soldiers are ready ma'ams."

We met when I ran away, to the Military Academy at the base of the mountain in Moor. Ischyro and I went to officer training together as well, he was alongside me and Katlyn through all of that messy business, of me secretly being the princess. We've never been very close, but I would consider him a friend, if he weren't always trying to steal my title as best fighter in Feralis.

"Thank you," I say to him and he nods his head. "Brother, we'll lead a small contingent of soldiers into the city, and quietly open the gates so that our army can take the city back quickly and quietly so as not to arouse suspicion. Meanwhile, Katlyn, myself, and our small contingent of soldiers will take Carber and all his other officers out."

"Okay, but I'm coming with you, and so is Sergio," Lues suggests.

"I won't betray you, I swear on my mother's grave, I just want Marianne to be safe at this point," Sergio defends himself before I even protest. "Besides, it sends a strong message if I go against my own father."

I nod, and Genna smiles. "I guess that means I'm coming too?"

"Me too," Amalia says, reminding me that she's in the tent with us. The last time she came, she was a prisoner, now she arrives in her captors army, as one of us.

I sincerely hope that her love for my brother is genuine, not the product of some mental disorder that makes her fall for her captor. The twinkle in her eyes suggests it's the former, and the blush in her cheeks does as well. The fact that she still appears a bit hesitant to feel anything for him is also a good sign.

Addilyn and Daryan volunteer to lead the army into the city, Tristayne volunteers to lead the pirates into the harbors and along the shores, ensuring none of Carber's men escape the capital by sea. My aunts, Lady Charissa, Lauria, and all of our other noble compatriots will be staying here, safe at the camp. Lauria can fight, but she's in no condition to be fighting anyone, let alone in the place where she was held hostage for almost two months.