Chapter 4.1 - Lues

The lords and ladies of my court are mulling around on both wings of the great hall's throne room, four of my knights, not including my sister, stand behind me. I sit up in my throne and start court with the customary words, "May the flames of justice burn bright."

As custom dictates, I have to get through the irritating and superficial arguments of my kingdom's nobles first. I begrudgingly hear some idiotic arguments about how lady so and so owes lord so and so this much money but has only payed this amount of the debt off. I find it petty for them to be arguing about money when we are the wealthiest in the kingdom.

I tell them as much and suggest that the debt money is paid in full by the owing party, and that the one collecting the debt donates 10% of the amount to the Feralin Royal Military for the war efforts. I tell them to talk the details out with my mistress of coin. They both begrudgingly agree and I move on to the next petition.

After about a dozen petty arguments and a dozen simple solutions, I finally get to the petitions I actually care about. I know it's careless to think of my lords and ladies as unimportant, but their petitions are. They seem to care more about their own personal wealth than the lives of our people, which is especially strange because we are at war.

The first common petitioner is a baker accusing her lord of using her tax money for personal purchases instead of following the instructions set by the treasury. A quick check through the tax books by Charissa proves this petitioners plea. I tell Lauria to have someone look into it, and to bring the lord before me.

A royal scribe writes down my decree as I continue on to the next petitions. As suspected, the majority of them are actually just excuses to meet the king and garner favor with the crown. Two hours into petitioning and I've already accepted ten new servants for the castle, five squires for my knights, and one ward for Lauria to groom into an ambassador.

I catch myself glancing at Amalia again, watching her reactions to my decrees. She seems confused, I have no doubt she was expecting me to torture someone or something brutal and cruel like that. I'm sure the rumors of my brutality must have something to do with the Dark Crown spreading false rumors to get me deposed.

The next petitioner is an elderly couple with a basket of flowers. My sister seems to recognize them, and when my herald announces them so do I.

"Your Majesty, you may not remember us but I am the chief of the village of Mikro. I wanted to come thank you personally for sending your own carpenters and masons to help shore our defenses and to wish you a lucky name-day," the man, Marbin Fera, says bowing his head. "If it pleases you your majesty, these flowers are for the Dame Ilena in thanks for avenging our daughter those many years ago."

My sister accepts the flowers, and nods her head in thanks to the couple.

"Mr. Fera, you and your wife are welcome to sit on the royal podium at the tournament," I announce. Their faces light up and they thank me bowing. They walk away and I smile at their backs. The petitioners afterwards all sort of blur together more wishes for good fortunes and safe work for their children.

I conclude the court session after my herald reports that there are no more petitioners. With thinly veiled excitement I declare that the festivities are to begin with a procession through Moor. The common folk exit first, closely followed by everyone else. After a while only my council, Amalia Crestman, her escort, and I remain.

I tell all my advisors except for my sister to leave us and prepare for the festival to occur in mere hours. A part of me think it's folly, and that we shouldn't be wasting the resources, but it is good for morale. The gods know that we need more morale in these trying times.