Ch. 39: Imbalance In Her Emotions

Ch. 39: Imbalance In Emotions

*Jacob's POV*

I got home, having stayed behind to have a talk with the pack Alpha. My conversation with Sam still ringing in my ears as we yelled at one another. I have no idea what had gotten into me. I went against his orders and the weirdest thing was it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It came naturally too, I'm not sure what the word I'd use would be here...disobey? I don't know, but I spoke my mind and told him off even when he had made it clear in his voice that, that should have been the end of our conversation. I had thought otherwise and kept it going, which obviously shocked everyone from all the gasps that had gone around. My thoughts were cut off when a scent invaded my senses. It was salt water, no, not just saltwater. Violet was crying. I could hear quiet whimpers and I could hear a bed creaking on the second floor.

"I knew this was stupid. I should have just.... god. Why am I always the screw up? I never asked for this..." her voice trailed off and I heard her sobs increase just slightly. I felt water collecting in my eyes. I closed them tightly, willing them to go away, but a few lone tears slid down my cheeks and rolled down my chin. She was hurting and I just stood there watching. How could I? After going on considering asking her to marry me just this week?

I went up the stairs as quietly as I could, hoping she wouldn't hear me as I approached her. The door to the room was cracked open just a bit and I could see her small quivering body, her golden bronze hair making a tent around her face. She was sitting on the bed, her back against the wall, her knees lifted up towards her chest as she hugged them close to her body. She was shaking lightly as she quietly sobbed, sniffling every so often. I made my way to her, sitting on the edge of the bed, close to her. She jumped a bit, but instead of raising her face, she simply tightened her hold on her legs and curled herself into a ball even more. She kept mumbling something repeatedly, but I couldn't hear her.

"I can't hear you, Vie." I told her, putting my hand behind her back, which was hard considering the wall was there. I tried to bring her towards my chest, but she was holding her ground, releasing her knees to grip onto the bed spread.

"Go away!" she shouted, her fingers trembling, her voice quivering. I swallowed back, feeling tears of my own collect in my eyes. My voice quivered as I tried to speak, my throat dry.

"Y-you don't....you don't mean that. Come on." I kissed the top of her head. I tried to bring her face up again. "Look...I'm sorry....I shouldn't have acted so protective or jealous and...I really shouldn't have let Sam treat you like that...." I was expecting her to reject me again, but was shocked when I felt the tears on my chest now, her arms wrapped around my stomach. I felt my heart break at her crumbled-up self. I hated myself for doing this to her.

"Is it really such a smart idea that I'm with you? I mean.... your Alpha doesn't trust me, Jake! I don't.... I can't have two separate identities! I just.... I can't do this anymore!" she pushed away from me, getting up, her back to me. I looked down, gulping before making my way back to her.

"What are you talking about, Violet? Of course it's a smart idea! Violet, I love you! You're my imprint! How many times do I have to say that?" I hold onto her, turning her around, but again, I can't see her face. I try to get her to look at me, her head is bent and her hands are still covering her face. "Violet?" my voice trembles, I'm so close to losing my composure.

"So...it doesn't matter that my family is a coven of vampires?" she asks bitterly, she's looking at me now, but I almost wish she wasn't. She's glaring at me, her face red from crying, her eyes puffy too, her face tear stained. I had never seen her look at me so, so hurt, and angry, and above all...broken. "It doesn't matter that I'm some...freak of nature, Jacob? Because I didn't ask for this!" I looked down, thinking she meant me. "I didn't ask to be this! I...if I had a say in anything that happens in my life...let me tell you I would wish to be normal Jacob!" I had enough. She felt so badly about herself. It wasn't her hating me, it was her hating herself. I grabbed her and pulled her tightly to me, holding her as close to my chest as physically possible.