Pine or Ocean Breeze

Ch. 6: Pine? or Ocean breeze? *start*

"Why can't I just take my car?!" I shouted to Edward as we discussed my matter of transportation. School didn't start for another hour and it was 6:45. Yet, already this early, Edward managed to tick me off to no end. At the moment, we were fighting about how my car would attract, "unwanted attention," towards me. What the hell was that? Ten dollars say I'm going to get attention either way! The Cullens aren't exactly liked around the school. They mostly think that we think we're too good for them. Humans can be so predictably stubborn.

"Says the stubborn half breed."

"Stay out of my head Ed. I told you I hate that. Besides, if I hitch a ride with you that means less alone time for you and Bella." I said nonchalantly.

"Thank you for your concern," he said sarcastically. "But you're a sophomore...you're not supposed to even be driving. So, give me the keys to the car." he said seriously. I clung onto my keys like life depended on it and hissed at him.

"MY gift. MY car. MY keys... I keep them" I insisted. "Let's just get going before we're late and they call Carlisle at work. You know he won't be too happy about being bothered with something like being tardy, Edward." I scolded him. With that I put my keys inside my shirt so he wouldn't even THINK about getting them. I laughed at what he mumbled next.

"Real mature for someone you age." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"What, I AM only 15," I said smugly. Technically, if you asked me, I had the appearance of a 17 year old.

As we drove off to Bella's I noticed all the people once again staring intently at me. As we neared Bella's home Edward slowed to a pace that wasn't breaking the law. I looked at him quizzically.

"Bella's father, Charlie Swan, is the chief of the police department." I made an "O" with my lips and continued to look out the window. As we neared, I hopped to the back of the car so Bella could ride shot gun. Although as I did, I noticed a motorcycle leaving the residence. 'Strange', I thought. Bella never did seem like the "dangerous" type. I looked to Edward although this woodsy scent got to me...Was that pine? Ocean breeze? No...both. Edward on the other hand looked like he just passed by a dumpster. Right as I was about to ask him what that was about, he spoke.

"Get out of the car. I want you to meet Bella's dad." I nodded. As we neared the house, I could hear a conversation going on. I hated to eavesdrop on them, but what can you do when you have vampire hearing?

"See Bells? Your leaving poor Jacob alone for your boyfriend. He was around when he wasn't and this is how you repay him?" I saw Edward flinch. I understood. Bella had reluctantly explained to me what happened during my absence with her and Edward.

"Dad...Jacob and me are just......growing apart is all." I felt that that was our queue to help Bella out and nudged Edward with my elbow to get him to knock. He did.

"Yea but..." Charlie stopped as he heard us interrupting. I self-consciously stepped behind Edward. I was kind of shy when it came to new people, besides this guy sounded pretty harsh. Suddenly a man in his mid-forties opened the door.

"Hey Edward let me just go get my stuff" said Bella behind her father as she ran upstairs. This placed smelled like gun powder, proving that he was indeed a cop...Either that or the dude just REALLY liked guns.

"Good morning, Chief Swan." said Edward politely.

"Hey Edward." He said kind of rudely. I could feel the anger radiating off of him towards my brother. I tried to read his mind but before I could Edward introduced me by pushing me forward.