Lifting of the Dark Veil

Ch: 11: Lifting of the Dark Veil*start*

*Violet's POV*

Wow! This woman reminded me of my mother, Esme. She was an amazing cook as well. Seems like she has lots of practice by the way these men eat. I was done eating and chanced a look at Jacob. He too was done eating, but made no haste to stand or at least stop staring. Was there something wrong with me? OH NO! Could he tell that I wasn't what I appeared to be? I looked away, the blush I once had gone as a feeling of insecurity and panic took over me. I could never harm a human. Especially one with an angel like glow to them. He looked as if he was carved by angel's out of the redwood trees that adorned California. I simply did not have the heart to hurt him, much less KILL him. Never! I stood up to put away my plate, but a hand was placed on my shoulder.

"I got it. Don't worry. You're our guest. Actually, Sam wanted to ask you a few things, is that ok?" she asked slowly. Oh no! They did know! What do I do?! I could either take the cowardly way out or stay and receive what was inevitable. I could not go with option 3 which was to eliminate them. I refuse to break my record of not harming, not ONE, human being...I refuse. I nodded my head. As this Sam fellow led the way towards the couch. He motioned for me to sit and I did. I noticed that Jacob quickly stood up and was at Sam's left-hand side. The others tried to make it seem as if they were not interested with what was about to unfold in the living room. I however, saw through that façade.

"Do you mind telling us why you were in the forest so late? I understand that you ran away and everything, but you could have been injured far WORSE than the condition that you're currently in." he started with genuine curiosity. Maybe that was it, just curiosity. Well, I should know very well about curiosity killing the cat. I could be the best example there is to find! Nonetheless I shall answer them.

"I don't know, to be honest. I resided in...California." I instantly decided looking at Jacob's face again. "I loved the wild life and figured if I kept walking, I'd get to somewhere safe." Not completely a lie, right?

"So, you went into the forest? At practically 1 am?" He asked as he raised his eyebrow. Wow that's how late it was? Could have sworn it was much, earlier. Well, when you're a vampire you get used to not keeping track of time. What's the point? We don't sleep. SHIT, WE DON'T DIE!

"I know, but I always felt secure with nature...the trees, birds...bears..."

"Oh my!" stated Embry who was hit in the head and shushed by Paul. I heard him mutter idiot.

"Oh, and uh, I don't know. I love animals. I heard La Push had wolves and wanted to check it out...It was mere coincidence that I actually made it." The boys all got quieter when I said wolves. I guess the natives here are very protective of their tribal symbol.

"Wolves? You came here to see wolves?! Shit I'll show ya a wolf just give me a sec and...OW, WHAT THE HELL?!" Embry was hit, yet again. Now all the boys glared at him. "Oh, my bad, sorry." Sam continued to give him a hard stare and it was like he took the hint to leave. "Fine, I'm going, but lover boy and the other's come too" Sam nodded and looked to Jacob who was shaking and gritting his teeth as he stared at the boys.

"Just for now Jacob. Don't worry, nothing will happen." He didn't budge and Sam turned to me. "Excuse me for a minute." I nodded as he stood up and waited at the door way for a hesitant Jacob. He stared at me one more time and I looked down again. This was my fault they were fighting. I didn't need to be super human to see that. Emily smiled as she made her way towards me.

"I'm sorry." I whispered my head still down. She picked it up as she moved my sticky bangs from my forehead.

"You had a fever, before. I think you should take a warm shower cause now you feel a little cold. But why on Earth would you be sorry? You didn't intend to get hurt, did you?" She asked herself more than me.