Chapter Forty | Veins

Start from the beginning

My jaw slightly drops at the view and I stop walking again, but this time Gabby doesn't notice. I use my other hand and rub my fingers up and down my skin for a couple of seconds before removing them to see the that I hadn't done anything. They're still there.

I look up at Gabby to find her still walking towards the parking lot, so I quickly push down my sleeve and decide that it's something I can handle later. I chase after her and she looks back at me once having heard my shoes hit the pavement.

"You coming?" She chuckles softly and I nod quickly. "Are you okay?"

"Mm," I nod again as I put my eyes on the ground.

"You sure..?"

"Yeah, I'm just tired. That's all," I repeat and grip my wrist tightly when it begins to itch again. Gabby furrows her brows at me, noticing that I'm acting stranger than normal. "I think I just need to sleep until Tuesday," I joke, but she doesn't laugh.

"Alaina, what's wrong? You've been acting odd all morning," she states as she turns to me, causing us both to stop on the sidewalk.

"So have you," I declare. "Asking me about the shadow and Moose, what's that about?" I counter and her brows raise.

"It's about N--" She stops herself, her entire face turning red and her eyes shining brightly as she stares at me. I wait for her to continue, but she doesn't. She only shakes her head at me and turns away.

"Forget it. Let's go."

When Gabby pulls into Eliza's driveway, I mutter a goodbye before climbing out and walking to the front porch. I shut the front door behind me and instantly press my back against it as I pull up my sleeve to reveal the veins on my wrist.

I wince softly as I poke at them, a sense of heat rushes through my veins and for a moment I think they're on fire. My head snaps up a second alter when I hear my name being yelled and I find Charlie and two of her friends running down the stairs.

"Alaina! Alaina!"

I quickly shove down my sleeves and hold my hands behind my back. "What's up, guys?" I ask.

"Where's Gabriella?"

"Oh..." I frown as I scratch at my wrists nervously. "She went on home."

"Aw! Why? We wanted her to do our makeup!" Charlie complains and bother of her friends grumble in disappointment.

"Maybe tomorrow," I say softly. When all of their eyes narrow at me, I walk around them and upstairs to my bedroom.

I close my door quietly behind me before turning around and tossing myself onto my bed. After a moment of laying in silence, I roll over onto my back and pull down my sleeves to reveal the blue and red veins running down my skin.

Maybe I'm sick? Maybe I should ask Eliza to take my to the hospital?

At the thought, I hear footsteps falling down the hallway and my door is suddenly cracked open. I shove down my sleeves instantly and I lean up as Eliza peeks her head through. She wears a wide smile as she opens my door more and steps into my room.

"What's up?" I ask, clearing my throat.

She moves across my room and slowly sits down next to me, still wearing her bright smile. I watch silently as she pushes a strand of hair behind my ear and I begin to wonder if something is wrong.

My brow arches, "What's wrong, Liza?"

"Nothing! Why does something have to be wrong for me to want to have a chat with my girl?" She asks, flailing her arms out comically.