Chapter 29: Chants of the 'dead'

Previously:

"What do you think is inside?" Haden asks and I look at him before averting my gaze back to the tower like building.
"Only one way to find out." I say, stepping forward and tapping three times on the door...

---------------------------
The door creaks open, an eerie silence settling in the Kingdom.
"Is this a good idea?" Haden asks and I shake my head.
"Not at all but you know what they say." I begin, trying to think of a quote.
"Well, what do they say?" Haden asks and I roll my eyes, huffing.
"Yeah yeah I'm working on it." He chuckles and I smile, travelling further down the hallway. The floor was covered in black tiles with a huge discoloured rug in the middle. Old and creepy paintings cover the hallways, statues and objects sitting lonely on stands lined against the wall. Haden grabs my hand and I grin, entering what appears to be the living room. It's huge and an ancient fire place opposes an abnormally big chair.

Suddenly, we hear a creak and my head snaps in that direction. I look through the gap and see a door opening, darkness uncovered. I exchange glances with Haden and he shakes his head. I smile and curiously step closer to the door.
"Haden can you?"I ask and he rolls his eyes, concentrating before he becomes illuminous.
"Thanks." I mumble, taking slow steps down the concrete stairs that lead us to the unknown. My feet firmly hit tiled white floors and a gust of cold wind wraps itself around me, a tingling sensation running over my body.
"I dont like this, not one bit at all." Haden mutters under his breath and I nod in agreement, regretting my actions. You know what they say - curiosity killed the cat and unfortunately I think I'm that cat!

I trace my hands along the squared walls and my hand comes in contact with a string. I pull it and a dim light flashes before brightening the room. No sooner it does, my heart stops in my chest and a look of pure horror smacks me in the face. I lift my hand to my open mouth and start shaking uncontrollably.
"A-are they d-dead?" I question, tears pricking my eyes.
"I dont know." Haden responds sadly, nearing the bodies. In rows are multiple bodies laying on metal beds, a thin white sheet covering them up to their necks. There eyes are tightly shut along with their lips and their bodies that lay limp on the cold 'beds'. I approach one, my hand still shaking as I reach out and quickly press it. Nothing. I do it again and I get the same result.
"What do you think has happened to them?" I ask Haden as he reads a yellow stained sheet that's stuck to the wall.
"According to this, they are in a coma that Queen Aiofe has put them in. My guess is, they're not waking up until she lets them." I nod and another cold air washes over me.
"We should leave...now." I say and Haden is swift to agree.

As I go to walk away, a hand grasps my wrist tightly and I yelp. I turn with wide and frantic eyes as I stare into pure white ones.
"They're coming for you. They're coming for you. They're coming for you!" A chorus of voices repeat this over and over again, gradually getting louder. Fear courses through my veins as Haden and I step back. Each body sits up and chants the chorus, sending chills down my spine.
"Lets get out of here!" Haden yells and I nod, grabbing his hand and running out of there. I trip on the stairs but quickly scramble up, glancing back to see the bodies all stood there. I scream but no noise comes out as I run faster up the stairs, escaping. I grab the door and look down the stairs.

No one is there.

Without hesitation, I slam the door shut!

---------------------------
Chapter 29! It was creepy!

What's going to happen to Adeline and will she survive or will they catch her just when she's about to complete it all?

Dont forget to vote, comment and add this story to your library. Thanks!

Shadowed25 💜