Chapter 12: Bitter

Previously:

"Come here. You can use me as a pillow." Haden says and I giggle, shuffling so my head is laying on his chest. His arms wrap around my waist and I instantly feel warmer.
"Goodnight Haden." I mumble, my tired eyes fluttering shut.
"Night sweetheart."

---------------------------
Coldness. It tingles my skin, pinches my cheeks and pulls my hair as my body shivers. I attempt to bring warmth to myself by rubbinh my hands together and blowing harsh hot breaths before pressing them against my rosy cheeks. I repeat this multiple times before it becomes a waste of time and I weakly push myself up into a sitting position, rubbing my tired eyes.

Then it hits me...

My head snaps from side to side, frantically looking for Haden. I jolt up, the adrenaline rushing through my veins as my heart drops to the pit of my stomach. Someone must've come for him. What if he's hurt!
"Haden." I whisper weakly, trying not to alert anyone, more specifically Avarice Shapers.
"Haden!" I yell louder, my voice still cautiously low. I step from the shelter, my steps slow and controlled as I move swiftly yet carefully further forward.
"Haden, where the fu-"
"Adeline, where are you going?" I hear the familar voice behind me making me jump.

I turn around and speed walk towards the fire Shaper.
"Where were you?" I ask breathlessly and he chuckles, leading me back to the bench.
"I was getting some food. You must be starving." Haden states and my eyes look down into his hands and smile as I see the delicious sight of a coffee and chocolate bar.
"Mhm your a life saver." I say and he laughs once again, handing me the food. I silently thank him and take a sip of the warm liquid, humming as it burns my body to warmness.

I rest my head lazily on his shoulder, looking at the wall opposite. However, no sooner I rest my head on his shoulder, he shuffles away, shrugging my head off his shoulder. I turn to him, confusion marked in my features.
"What's wrong?" I ask and he visibly gulps, his adams apple bobbing.
"N-nothing Adeline." Haden replies, taking a small bite out of his chocolate. I do the same until my stomach growls at me to eat faster and soon enough the chocolate is no more.

I wipe the corners of my lip and slide an inch closer to Haden.
"Are you sure? Your not off with me at all?" I ask again and he huffs, turning away.
"Adeline I said it's nothing." He snaps, standing up. I copy his action and push harshly on his shoulder so he's facing me.
"Stop! What's wrong?" I question, calmer this time, my expression relaxing as I place my hand closer to his cheek. I see the small glimpse of his eyes softening and his head tilting into my hand until he shakes his head, walking away from me.
"HADEN!" I yell, an unfamilar feeling forming in the dephs of my stomach.
"Adeline not now! Just stay there, I'll be back soon!" He orders, glancing over his shoulder. His eyes stare into mine, the red appearing darker, more...evil.

In defeat, I slowly back into the bench and fall onto it, my mouth agape and my eyes watery. Haden was acting so kind and romantic last night and I thought we had a moment. I guess not! But, now he's acting like a jackass. His moods has just changed overnight without any explanation. Why?

---------------------------
Chapter 12 officially out and is a little different. Haden is acting so cold to Adeline but... why?

Will Adeline figure out why Haden isn't being himself or will she be left in the dark?

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. Dont forget to vote, comment and add this story to your library. Thanks!

Shadowed25 💜