Prologue - An Article

Alfred sat on a chair, he had done all his work, but he still had to be at work for a while. He surfed on the internet, pretending to be doing something meaningful, no one would find out he was slacking anyway. He felt a bit ashamed, but when he rememberd his colleague, who had a habit of spending his time at work watching dubious material, he felt better. He was sure the boss was going to fire him some day.

He visited some site with news and began to read, but nothing piqued up his interest. Mainstream medie were writing propaganda and junk stories more fitting for some soap opera. After a while of chaotic surfing on the internet, he began to read an article on an alternative media. Thankfully, this one was not about martians ruling the world replacing governments, these themes were for a change the plague of an alternative media.

"I guess some things never change." Alfred continued in reading an article about nuclear weapons.

A Proof of Inevitability of a Nuclear Holocaust

As everyone knows, the peace in the word is nowadays ensured by a threat of mutual nuclear destruction. As soon as a superpower uses nuclear weapons, the others will retaliate in the exact same manner and the Earth will be destroyed. War as we have known it for so many years vanished, because of this fact, replaced by irregular armies and proxy wars, where mercenaries and fanatics fight instead of uniformed soldiers.

Some call it a progress, but the sole existence of nuclear weapons is dangerous. The probability, that a superpower uses nuclear weapons is not zero, therefore it is only a matter of time, before the world will face a nuclear destruction. . . .

"Oh man, I should read something more positive. Where is the proof by the way? Nowhere." Alfred looked at his watch and sighed. He had still about half an hour, before his absolutely boring day would end.

As so many people before him, he discarded the issue, probability of the event being too low. However, probability is tireless and a few hundreds years later, a bright flash blinded all living things of Earth in a war, which should have been too improbable to happen.