Nowhere to Run

He licked his nose and stuck it out of the vegetation, after a few sniffs he knew his nose had not failed him. His prey was inside of the wooden cube just a few leaps out of the forest. This was not what he had hoped for, it was too easy to follow their tracks. There was no fun in slaughtering a weak prey. He licked himself again, but this time he tried to get all the meat out of his . .. Why is this even happening ? All should obey him, all the meat should be in his stomach and yet some dares to be stuck in the gaps between his teeth. It is so annoying ! He suppressed his urge to growl, he must not spoil his hunt because of a few pieces of the stupid troll. Or were these pieces of a human origin? A figure of a woman entering the hut disrupted his thoughts. What? Haw dare she disrupt his thoughts? He shook his head, perhaps he was getting too egoistic.

Focus on the hunt.

He reminded himself and continued his watch. He kept thinking about his prey, how could he make his experience more thrilling ? He got an idea. Before the figure of Jiao Mei entered the hut, he had stepped out of the vegetation.

Oh by The Moon, can the two-legged sheeps get any more stupid?

He walked out of the forest, but the sheep was oblivious to his presence. He was forced to growl loudly to alert the dumb creature someone is watching her. She had finally noticed him, he could even smell Mei's body began to sweat, she stood there for a second and than rushed into the wooden cube.

Hah as if their useless constructions could stop him. He turned around and made himself comfortable in the bushes. Now they knew he was here and could make some preparations, that was good, a slaughter without any resistence was not his thing really.

What is the point of a hunt without a resisting prey?

He decided to wait a considerable amount of time, he still remembered the last time. He gave his prey a while and by the time he entered their den ,they were still petrified with fear. He intended to wait until dawn and then, the fun would begin.

* * * *

The moment Jiao Mei entered the room he knew she brought some bad news with her. She looked pale and did not say a word. She just looked at her bed and than on Zephyrus.

"You can take Mause's place instead, he won't come here anytime soon." Mei sat down on the blanket placing a bundle of furs next to her.

Mei was not a citizen of the Imperium, it was apparent on the first sight. She was a bit smaller than an average citizen of the Imperium and her skin wasn't clean white, the shades of green could be seen immediately. Mei came from the eastern countries and her reasons for moving here were unknown to him, she was probably on the run from some eastern organization or government. There were many states in the east, some of them were infamous for their law enforcing methods and there were civil wars in some of them. Well, most ot the civil wars there were not civil at all, he bet some international groups were involved in these conflicts. Whatever her reasons, Mei was a capable hunter, many men could envy her skills and fortitude.

"Have you seen the red beast outside?" Her voice was cold, emotionless.

"Yeah, we are beign hunted by it." He pointed in the direction of his unwanted companion. "It is my fault, it spotted me in the forest and followed me all the way here." He averted his eyes from Mei and continued. "I am sorry I have dragged you into this mess, I do not think we can escape it. It is like the death itself is hunting us, we cannot escape."

"Come on, It is still only a beast. I have heard some people actually managed to kill it. It's fur is very tough, but it can be killed."

"Are you talking about the same beast? This one was crushed into pieces by a troll and recovered in seconds like nothing had happened. Twenty slams against a tree and rocks, this one is extremely tough. And the most funny thing is, I heard its bones cracking, it possesses an insane healing ability, even the troll cannot heal as fast as this red beast can."