Chapter Fifty-Six

Start from the beginning

When he looked up, he shielded his eyes from the sun. Then Elouise moved a little to the right, blocking the sun's rays for Henry, and Henry couldn't stop staring at the beautiful glow outlining her.

And he swore she would be the only one for him. Because his heart wouldn't quit racing, and his stomach tingled.

She finished her song shortly after and told him she didn't appreciate him gawking at her. He said nothing. So, she stuck her tongue out at him and hopped off the fountain. He finally blinked hard, got to his feet, and handed her the crown. And her smile lit up her face brighter than the sun ever could.

However, the truth was... Henry merely wanted to be in love with her. She had always been his best friend, after all. It felt safe to love her in such a way.

They had never looked at each other the way she looked at Eldon, and the way Eldon looked right back at her. And he was happy for them. He only worried how long it would take them to say anything about it to each other. But other than that, he felt fine with how things were.

Well, how else was he supposed to feel?

---
When Henry returned to his bedchamber later that day, he spotted something on his pillow. He glanced around at first, and when he didn't see anything else out of the ordinary, he approached his bed. Then he stiffened when he realized it was an origami heart.

"Haven," he mouthed, reaching for it.

After the prolonged silence and lack of sightings (he'd asked the market guards to keep an eye out for him), Henry had told himself to give up hope. He'd made himself believe she had truly left. But now this?

Eagerly, he unfolded the heart and held his breath as he read the words scribbled across the parchment: Behind the town at sunset.

Henry gazed out the window. There was about an hour left before evening. He hid the letter under his pillow and decided to freshen up first with a bath.

After dinner, he made an excuse that he felt exhausted and wished to rest early. Although his friends stared after him and Ivy looked about ready to leap from her seat, he managed to slip away. Fortunately, the guards let him through as well. They trusted him, he realized. To them, he was more than a mere guest at the castle now. And he smiled to himself as he headed into the town.

The streets were lonelier at this hour. No music played and hardly any chatter or laughter, but Henry still walked past plenty of people who bowed or curtsied to him.

He found Haven in the very same spot he had when they had sneaked in the gold. Except, this time, she paced beside the large townhouse.

Her back was to him when he spoke up. "You're still around." He'd almost meant it as a question, like he couldn't wrap his head around the fact that she was actually here.

Haven spun around, her frazzled expression brightening. Then she grinned wickedly. "Hank."

"Where have you been?"

"None of your concern."

"Haven..."

"I'm here now, Hank." Her smile slowly faded as she closed the space between them. "But I won't be for long."

Henry furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"I'm being hunted." She rolled her eyes. "Every Interloper knows my face and is seeking me out." Then she waved her hand. "I'll spare you the details of how many of them I've had to kill in the past month."

"Oh, Haven." Henry's shoulders slumped. "I feel responsible for this."

Haven chuckled. "Why?"

"If I hadn't asked you to come meet me that night and if I hadn't borrowed one of Udolf's horses, he wouldn't have found you."