Chapter Nine

"And where do you think you're going?" Lord Berney demanded.

Elouise snarled, whirling around to see him chasing after her—halting her from seeing her father. Again.

Lord Berney stopped a few feet away, dramatically waving his arms about. "This entire area could be contagious!"

Elouise squinted at him and folded her arms across her chest. "You are exaggerating, Lord Berney."

"I would rather not risk figuring that out! You are our jewel, and you must be protected at all costs."

She almost scoffed. "I am not a jewel, Lord Berney. I am a person with feelings and concerns. And right now, my concern is my father." She started turning, but she didn't even manage a step when the nobleman spoke again, capturing her interest this time with his words.

"Then I suppose it is useless to inform you that your old friend has dropped by and is asking to meet with you."

Eldon. Somehow, she knew without asking. She held her breath, unable to move anymore. She didn't dare to face Berney either. The last thing she needed was for him to see her like this—paused with an indescribable terror that made her stomach and heart tingle. Her hands were trembling, too.

Eldon... was here? Great Holy Deity. How long had it been?

Oh, who was she fooling? Elouise knew precisely how long it had been. Approximately two months and two weeks since her birthday. Since he had to leave and return to Mary's side.

Elouise prayed everything was alright with his family now. Should she ask about them? Would that be intruding? Should she wait for him to say something instead? Or would that make her insensitive?

Perhaps none of that mattered. Why exactly was Eldon back?

"He is waiting outside the gate," Berney explained. "He will not be allowed in unless you—"

"Let him in," Elouise interrupted, perhaps more eagerly than she had wanted. She put her hands behind her back and tried a more proper approach. "Please let him in."

"This is not a casual visit, Your Highness. He has a plea and we—well, you—have not yet decided when court will reopen."

A plea? Ah, so he was not here for—

Elouise gasped. Oh no. What if something was wrong with his family?

"Then open it now," she demanded, grabbing her skirts and holding them up as she began walking. "Have him escorted to the throne room. If you do not want this to be a casual visit, then it shall not be." However, she halted while Berney hurried past her. Then she regretfully stared down the corridor.

Although Berney was against it and often prevented it, she needed to see her father. Dr. Rolfe refused to give her any details about the illness beyond saying that her father was having trouble staying awake and eating. Was the physician even doing anything helpful, though?

Elouise sighed and lowered her shoulders. She felt she had to do something before it was too late.

Then her heart leaped as an idea struck her.

After speaking to Eldon, she would head to the temple. She was confident Reverend Mathew would know of a physician or two who could further assist her father. She recalled when her father had actually done the same for her mother.

Unfortunately... her mother hadn't lived long enough for anyone to arrive.

Elouise clutched her skirts tighter and shook her head. That wouldn't happen. She wouldn't allow it.