Chapter Twenty-Two

Right after supper, as the castle began to settle down for the night, Henry sneaked out into the garden. He sat down on the bench in front of the fountain and flicked his coin as he stared up at the starry sky. After a beat, he heard the soft brush of skirts against cobblestone and mentally prepared himself for company.

"Today sure turned out horribly," Ivy commented, coming into his view under the moonlight. She plopped down beside him and sighed.

Henry caught his coin and faced her. "On the bright side, you got yourself a new wardrobe."

"I loved borrowing Elouise's gowns, but it's nice to have my own now." Ivy giggled. Henry was relieved to hear that sound, especially after what she had gone through.

Henry looked in front of him and swallowed hard, an uneasiness creeping up on him.

It had happened here in this very same spot. An arrow had been coming for him. It should have struck him in the neck... or Elouise in the head. Neither happened, though.

Somehow, the arrow had stopped as soon as Elouise had lifted her hand. But that wasn't possible, was it? No one had the ability to suspend things in midair like that.

"Do you believe in miracles, Ivy?" he asked, stuffing his coin into his pocket and locking eyes with his cousin.

Ivy scrunched up her face and hummed thoughtfully. "I believe it was a miracle that we got here safely." She sounded exactly like her usual self. But then her expression turned grim, and she dropped her gaze to the ground.

Henry sat up straighter and anxiously waited for her to elaborate.

"I think it is a miracle that I'm still alive when those creatures were after me," she solemnly admitted. "Eldon's friend... Leanne... saved me." And the corners of her lips rose.

Henry exhaled slowly.

"What about you, Henry?" she asked, her tone brightening again. "Do you believe in miracles?"

Henry shifted his gaze to the stars once more. Well, if not a miracle, what else could explain what had occurred with Elouise today?

But as the memory replayed itself for the umpteenth time, he knew—deep down—what it really was. The bizarre word was on the tip of his tongue. He simply couldn't bear the thought of saying it, though.

A miracle, somehow, sounded safer. Still, he wasn't sure he could lie so boldly to himself about something so blatantly obvious.

"I'll let you know when I figure that out for myself," he murmured.

"Are you okay?" Ivy asked him.

"Why wouldn't I be? We're here and we're safe. That is what we wanted, isn't it?"

Ivy squinted at him, and he swallowed hard, hoping he appeared steady enough.

Then they both faced forward when another set of footsteps neared them. While Henry expected to see a guard doing one of their nightly rounds, he got Elouise instead. Her hair had been tied in a messy side ponytail, and she wore a gold and pink cloak over her beige nightgown.

"Is that you, Henry?" she called.

Ivy stood. "Yes!"

Elouise stopped. "... Ivy?"

"One of us should've brought a lantern," Ivy murmured to Henry.

Henry gave her a lopsided smile. "You should try getting some sleep."

She covered her mouth as she yawned. "I won't argue with that." Then she leaned down and placed a quick kiss on the top of his head. "Goodnight, big brother." With that, she turned away as Elouise reached them.