Chapter Thirty-Nine

Henry kept his head low as he patted his face dry with a piece of cloth. Afterwards, he folded the soft, white fabric neatly and set it down on the short chestnut dresser. He then gripped the sides of the dresser, refusing to meet his reflection in the mirror above.

The carriages would be leaving within the hour. He was expected outside soon—or they would leave without him. He kind of wanted them to, though. Considering what'd happened in the past four days, the last thing any of them should be doing was going to visit Lord Udolf.

With a heavy sigh, Henry raised his head and immediately furrowed his eyebrows at the person he saw. His irises were looking grayer lately. It seemed quite fitting for today's mood, though. He ran his fingers through his hair, brushing it away from his forehead. Most of his strands sprang forward, anyway. He shook his head.

As good as it was going to get, he supposed.

A few gentle knocks turned him away from the mirror and over to the door. He found Eldon on the other side, and he put on his best smile for him.

"Are you almost ready?" Eldon asked in a groggy tone. He even rubbed his eyes with his knuckles and yawned quietly.

Henry couldn't blame him for being so tired. The sun had only begun rising. They had to leave soon if they wanted to get to the Outlands by the following morning.

Henry nodded toward the few outfits he'd packed for the journey. "I believe I am." He then heard a familiar and cheery humming from down the corridor. Eldon carefully hobbled aside as Ivy came to stand beside him.

"Good morning, cousin!" she sang.

"Good morning, Ivy," he tried greeting her back with just as much enthusiasm. He knew he'd fallen short, though—if the way Eldon side-eyed him was any indication.

"Can the two of you believe where we're going?" she asked, turning to Eldon.

Eldon covered his mouth with the back of his hand as he yawned, but he nodded in response to her.

"Hardly," answered Henry. The reason he and Ivy were invited was because King Philip told him it would help keep Elouise at ease after Eldon's accident. Although, Ivy mentioned to him last night that King Philip was most likely feeling guilty after shouting at Elouise.

Elouise had been notably quieter since she and Eldon were caught after speaking to Arnold in the dungeon. Henry couldn't fathom what Arnold could've said to put her on edge. But he also didn't want to bother her or Eldon by asking questions.

So, he put on a smile and suggested to Ivy and Eldon that they all join the others outside. Neither on them protested.

Elouise was already waiting patiently by the carriages, her hands folded behind her. Most of her long hair had been left in waves with a portion braid into a crown. She wore a thin burgundy gown with a gold girdle, and its long sleeves and high collar were made of fine lace. Henry held his breath as he took in the sight of her gracefully standing there, strands of her wavy hair blowing with the morning breeze.

She'd always been told she resembled her father more. Right now, however, Henry saw a lot of Tatianna in her. He could almost convince himself he was staring right at the late queen instead of his best friend.

While Eldon and Ivy stayed behind to speak with a few trainees and Leanne who'd come to bid their farewells, Henry made his way over to Elouise.

"A lovely day for a long ride," he commented, standing beside her.

Elouise nodded. "It is indeed."

Henry took this as a good sign to continue. "I feel fortunate that I will be riding alone with Eldon. Perhaps we'll exchange childhood stories to pass the time. I have plenty involving a certain princess." This caught her interest, and she finally looked up at him with a raised eyebrow.