Chapter Thirty-Six

Two days later, while Elouise was indulging herself by tasting the baker's newest—and heavenly—additions, Lord Berney came to speak with her.

The nobleman cleared his throat. Elouise turned away from the plate of fritters and inwardly groaned at the sight of him. She finished chewing and swallowed before greeting him. He bowed to her.

Readjusting himself, he gestured toward the various desserts behind her. "Do you not think your father would disapprove of how much of this rubbish you consume?"

Chef Griffith turned, fixating on Berney with a sneer.

Elouise sighed. "You did not come here to criticize what I eat. What do you truly want?"

"I came with news from your father. We finished another meeting. I had wondered why you did not attend, but now I have my answer."

Elouise and chef exchanged irritated glances and shook their heads.

She then asked Berney, "What news do you have?"

"As per your request, we were supposed to reopen the People's Word by the end of last month. Due to King Philip's near death and then recovery, that did not occur. Upon your approval, he would like to try for a reopening on the twenty-fifth of this month."

Truthfully, Elouise was surprised her father still wanted to try at all. "Why until then?"

"He wrote to Lord Udolf this morning, informing him that you and he shall be visiting next week. Waiting until the twenty-fifth for the People's Word will give you both an opportunity to prepare yourselves after your trip."

Elouise's heart leaped. "We are going to the Outlands n-next week?" Now that felt too soon, even if Udolf had already been constantly asking them to visit.

Berney nodded. "You and your father shall be accompanied by a few guards, one of your handmaids, Lady Fayre, and myself."

"Oh, you are going as well?"

Berney squinted his eyes and chuckled dryly. "I know how displeased you must be with that, but it was your father—the king—who personally asked me to join."

Elouise sighed. "Very well, but I would like to bring some more people along with us."

"Your Highness, we are going for a short visit. I am certain you can go four days without your little... plaything."

"If you are referring to Eldon, I would advise you to watch your mouth." Elouise then took a deep breath, calming herself. "Along with him, I'd also like for Prince Henry and Lady Ivy to join us." Truthfully, she and Ivy hadn't spoken since the other night. Of course, they saw each other during meals and smiled whenever their eyes met, but they hadn't had the chance to discuss everything now that Victor was gone.

"We cannot take all three of them," Lord Berney told her.

Elouise scowled. "You do not get to decide that."

"Perhaps not. However, we can make an exception for Eldon since he is to be your guard. But we are not going to take an extra carriage for merely two people."

"Why not?"

Lord Berney raised an eyebrow and began tapping his right foot. "You will have to speak of this matter with your father, then."

"I will."

With that, Berney turned on his heel and headed for the door. Elouise thought of something else and called out to him. He stopped and glanced back at her.

"You may be very relieved that I am no longer in charge," she started. "Keep in mind that I will be crowned queen next year. Enjoy your time now as a favored council member." She saw the way his nostrils flared, and she smirked as he charged out of there.