Chapter Fifty-Three

"Son."

Henry nearly flinched when King Philip patted his back. He searched the king's eyes and nodded at him.

"You did well," King Philip complimented, smiling warmly.

Henry stood on the balcony with Philip, Fayre, and Lady Haley. They overlooked the bloodied lawn, but Henry's attention was particularly drawn to the tree where the archer he'd shot down had been hiding out. His bow felt heavy at his side as he reeled from the last-minute decision he had made: to kill the hidden man or spare his life so they could all interrogate him.

In that moment, it'd felt easier to merely take his life as a punishment for what his group had repeatedly done to Elouise and Eldon. But Udolf called out from behind, urging him not to. And King Philip had agreed. So, Henry begrudgingly lowered his aim and shot the archer in the side instead. Haley then did the same to the second hidden archer to their right.

The men were captured. Then Henry watched Udolf step out below and speak with them. A moment passed before Udolf turned and took off running back inside. Henry had wanted to go with him, but Fayre kept him still, saying they needed to ensure there were no more hiding around.

That had been half an hour ago.

Henry thought it was safe to say all threats had been eliminated. Still, they waited. They waited despite the horrifying shouts of protests echoing throughout the manor. He had no idea where the captured men even were now. His best assumption was that they had been let go without their knowledge. Because why would Udolf keep these men imprisoned when he wanted to be on Inferum cantivat's good side?

Henry was the first to hear the shuffling behind them, and he turned, finding Elouise and Eldon walking toward them. He alerted the others and met his friends halfway.

Elouise was frantic. The color on her face had almost entirely blanched and she kept fidding with the jewels on her skirt.

"What are you doing out here?" he asked her, though he turned his gaze to Eldon midway.

Neither of them had to say anything. Henry received his answer when Udolf called from below. The three of them rushed to the railing of the balcony. Everyone else joined them. And they stayed silent for the announcement.

Someone was then dragged out of the manor with a sack over their head. They were kicking up their legs and attempting to throw punches in every direction. This struggle hardly did them any good once their arms were pulled behind them and their wrists were tied together.

Udolf threw his head back and shielded his eyes from the sun with his hand. Smirking up at them, he said, "Follow me into the city where I shall punish the fool who dared to defy the royal family of Aristol."

Henry furrowed his brows. "Is that Arnold?"

"Yes," Eldon plainly answered.

King Philip shook his head. "He is going to kill that mongrel in front of everyone, isn't he?"

Whenever criminals were punished by the Aristol monarchy, it was usually done in private to prevent children from witnessing such events. For Caelum, depending on the crime committed, a public display was unfortunately ideal. However, Henry wouldn't be surprised if Victor disregarded how big or small the crimes were and simply humiliated everyone he sentenced to a hanging or beheading.

As they headed downstairs to meet with Udolf and follow him, Elouise pulled Henry behind, allowing everyone else to walk ahead of them.

Elouise leaned into him and asked, "Do you still deny that you care for Haven?"

Henry sighed. Haven. He'd nearly gone more than an hour without her popping into his thoughts again. Elouise didn't need to know that, though. "I am not denying anything. I feel... empathetic toward her. She clearly had a miserable life growing up. How could I not relate to that?" Of course, his rough childhood didn't lead him into joining a group of psychotic criminals. But to each their own.