Chapter Fifty-One

Henry had borrowed one of Udolf's horses, making an excuse that riding would clear his mind and help him get to sleep later. When Elouise came to join him, the servants curiously eyed her. However, since they weren't her servants, they had no reason to ask her father's permission first. She had a feeling he would eventually find out, though.

As they exited the city, Elouise leaned forward and rested her chin on Henry's shoulder. "You don't find it strange that she wanted to meet in such an isolated area?"

"Yes," he answered. "But everything about Haven is strange. I think I've become unfazed by her requests by this point." Elouise didn't even want to know what he meant by that.

After a short while of riding, they reached what appeared to have once been a village evidently destroyed by some sort of devastation. It reminded Elouise of her nightmare. She imagined Starset looking like this after the fire settled. Nothing but remnants of what once was. Of shattered life and forgotten memories.

Elouise accepted Henry's assistance off the horse. She glanced around and shuddered.

Henry tied the horse to a post at the beginning of the row. "Haven will be in the cottage with the door still intact."

Elouise eyed the cottages. Plenty of the cottages had doors knocked down or hanging off the hinges... except for the only one in the middle of the left row. Its door was perfectly stable and closed. She pointed it out to Henry.

Henry moved away from the mare and took a deep breath. "Well then, I'm ready whenever you are."

She wasn't. Not even in the slightest. Nonetheless, she smiled at him and nodded.

Henry took the lead, walking up to the door and knocking a few times. Elouise stayed close behind him, wishing Eldon would've come with them.

Haven answered the door a moment later, her eyes immediately going to Elouise. And she grinned—cold and lifeless.

"Oh, my, what an honor," she stated, fanning herself. "It's been some time since we last saw each other, hasn't it, Your Highness?"

Elouise winced as she thought back to her last and only encounter with Haven.

"Let us in, Haven," Henry blandly demanded.

Haven glowered at him. "Why should I let you in now that you brought her? I was under the impression this was going to be between us."

"This involves her as well. I thought it was only appropriate if she was here, too."

Then they merely stared at each other—as if hoping to concentrate hard enough to read each other's thoughts. The tension quickly became uncomfortable, and Elouise cleared her throat. After a beat, they looked at her.

"Will you speak to us or not?" she questioned Haven.

Haven sucked in her lower lip, drawing attention to the small abrasion on the corner of it, and she shrugged. She turned and walked further into the torn down home. Elouise and Henry took that as their cue to enter. Henry closed the door, and they both hovered near it as Haven went around to light a few more candles in the small living area.

Elouise noticed the doorways to any other room in the building were blocked off by debris. She wondered where the previous owners of these cottages were. Were they alive and well? Had they even been fortunate enough to escape?

"Go ahead and talk," Haven murmured, shaking Elouise from her thoughts. "I'll tell you now, though... depending on your questions, don't expect much out of me."

"You don't have to tell us your entire life story," Henry jested. "We know you have information that'll be valuable to Aristole's safety, though. That's why we're here."