Chapter Nineteen

"I apologize for us not having this conversation until now," Elouise said to Henry as they stepped into the hedge maze. "I had hoped to speak with you yesterday, but then we couldn't find Eldon and... I was exhausted after he left." With her mind racing with what could be hiding in those mountains, she didn't believe she could hold any sort of conversation—especially nothing this important.

"Which is completely understandable," Henry responded, leaning into her a little more. "I'm glad he is safe and well."

Elouise smiled up at him. "Yes. Although I will be honest with you, that gave me time to brace myself. I thought I would have more time to prepare before you arrived." She released his arm once they reached the center and walked up to the fountain. At first, she couldn't decide whether to sit for this or not. How would she be more comfortable? Did that even matter right now?

"Go on, then, El," said Henry. "Your prolonged silence is worrying me."

Elouise sat down on the bench and sighed. Prolonging the inevitable was never the wisest choice, was it?

Despite yearning for Henry's words on the subject, she was still tentative about sharing the details.

She cleared her throat and began. "Henry, you see, Aristol has fallen into debt." She paused when Henry gawked at her. "My father has asked for weaponry assistance from Arendice in exchange for gold. He was to give the gold to them in payments. The next payment is nearing, but we also have our own expenses to pay for here. If we fail to pay Arendice, they may—"

"Declare war," Henry concluded, shaking his head. He walked over and joined her on the bench, keeping his gaze forward. "They have a bit of their own war happening right now, though, between the royals and the people. Perhaps they would overlook one late payment."

"I cannot risk that, Henry. Prince Maximus' brother is ruthless and does not make exceptions for anyone."

Henry looked at her with a small pout. "Then what are you planning to do? Because I have a feeling that you have an idea and that's what you wanted to discuss with me."

"You know me well." Elouise eyed the guards walking past. Like with Eldon, she felt it was safer to keep her voice down and lean in closer.

"Well, do you see what I am wearing on my head?" she questioned.

Henry's gaze flickered once to the diadem, then his expression turned puzzled. She grinned at that.

"It would certainly sell for quite a lot. Wouldn't you agree?"

Henry narrowed his gaze at her. "What are you getting at?"

"The council would never agree to sell any of our treasures," she said, nearly rolling her eyes. "And I can understand why. Therefore, I was thinking... what if these... treasures were... stolen? But!" She raised her forefinger when Henry gasped. And Henry pressed his lips tightly together.

Elouise continued. "But what if we asked for the thieves to return our treasures. Yet, instead, they merely paid us back."

Henry scratched his head and turned his attention upwards. "Why would thieves—"

"Oh, the plan is a work-in-progress, Henry. I do not have all the answers!"

"I see." Henry then squinted at her. With such little space between their faces, Elouise could make out all the tiny flecks of green in his blue irises. She almost envied him for that. She did like her brown eyes and the fact that they were the rarest kind, but they came with such baffling complications. Unlike his that were simply beautiful.