Chapter Eleven

The temple was an isolated building far behind Starset market and townhouses.

Its sharp steeple, however, loomed in the distance from the castle, and even from miles out in the fields. A stone path accompanied by pink and white rose bushes led the way up to the tall wooden doors.

Elouise smiled at a couple walking out as she approached, who bowed and held the door open for her. She thanked them and made her way inside, calling to the guards behind her to wait for her outside, but Fayre went with her.

Glass-stained windows aligned the stone walls, brightening the room in warm pinks, greens, yellows, and blues. Tales of miracles by the Great Holy Deity were depicted in those colors, many of which Elouise recalled from her studies.

Elouise walked slowly down the aisle. A few people were kneeling in the white wooden pews, their eyes closed as they murmured to themselves. She did her best not to make a sound and interrupt them.

The altar held a blue and white marble statue of a figure facing down with their hands folded together and a robe wrapped around their body. It represented the Great Holy Deity. Their face lacked features, and Elouise remembered being terrified of it when she was a child.

Now she quite admired the work put into it, especially the little creases in the robe. Above the Deity were various paintings, each one telling a story from history. Anita's rise in becoming the first queen, the arrival of the boats, the birth of the first heir, Queen Izabella's expansion of the northern and eastern regions, the creation of Heavenly Nights, and Queen Beatrice's win against the Interlopers.

Candles and roses also surrounded the altar, adding a peaceful aroma to an already comforting place. Elouise hummed contently and peered into the nearby office.

Reverend Mathew only came by on certain days of the week in case anyone needed his guidance. It was the third day of week—Triaday—and she spotted him sitting behind his small desk. After a beat, he raised his head and saw her. Then he stood and hurried out of the room, greeting her.

"Reverend Mathew," she addressed, bowing her head.

"How do you fare, Your Highness? It is an honor to see you here."

"Well, thank you. Although, I know you must have heard of my father's condition."

Reverend Mathew nodded and sighed. "Yes, I have. Has he gotten any better?"

"I am afraid he has only gotten worse. I've come to ask if you know of any other physicians—from any kingdom—that could help. Cost will not matter." Elouise winced at her own words. How easy it was for her to spend gold without a second thought.

I must learn to stop doing that...

Reverend Mathew looked thoughtful for a moment before smiling again. "Did you ever hear about the grave case in Valenia? A young girl had mysteriously lost her appetite and was slowly starving to death, but she was healed by a physician by the name of Godwin. I cannot remember where Godwin is exactly from, but he has been known to visit Aristol often, specifically Solis."

Elouise beamed. "Is he here now?"

"I am unsure, though I will ask around for him. If he is not here, perhaps I can figure out his current whereabouts and send word to him."

"Oh! Thank you so much, Reverend Mathew."

Reverend Mathew told her to pray if she desired. Then he left her to greet a small family walking in. Elouise looked to Fayre, and Fayre nodded at her.

Elouise kneeled before the altar and bowed her head, closing her eyes. Clasping her hands together, she began whispering her prayer. "Please protect my father and ensure that his recovery will be a quick and painless one..." She peeked up at the statue, another thought lingering in the back of her mind.