Chapter Four

Right after sundown, Elouise teleported herself to her mother's study, clutching Beatrice's diary. She sat in the chair behind the desk and curled up, thankful she had changed into her nightgown prior to coming here. Then she rested her chin on her knees and flipped open the diary, determined to finish another read through, hoping to find that missing aspect.

Elouise pursed her lips as she reached the first passage that had been torn out. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary about that one. It was mostly toward the end of the first diary where the passages began feeling... off. She didn't know how to explain it, though. She didn't truly know what exactly felt off, either.

The doors opened, and Elouise didn't have to look to know it was Fayre. Fayre was the real reason Elouise had come here tonight. They were continuing a routine they had started a month after the ball.

"Light," Fayre commanded as she shut the doors behind her.

Elouise noted a dirty old sack Fayre was clutching, but she opted against questioning it and shut the diary instead. She then set it down on the desk and jumped to her feet. 

This training required concentration and patience. She could think of nothing else except the task given to her. Thus, Elouise opened her hand, palm facing up, and revealed the golden magic. The dark study illuminated around them.

After learning about the letter from Tatianna, Fayre began helping Elouise practice her magic so that this "destiny" wouldn't prove to be a challenge.

"When the time comes, you will not be afraid to confront anything," Fayre had told her. "You will be ready no matter what comes at you."

Although these practices mainly focused on her light magic and seeing how fast she could teleport from one part of the castle to the other while retrieving a few things, Elouise felt more confident with Fayre's help. They'd attempted fire magic from time to time, but using it brought memories of that reoccurring nightmare she used to have. To avoid it altogether, Elouise sometimes ended practice early, lying that she was getting sleepy or gaining a headache. Fayre evidently knew that wasn't true, yet she never questioned Elouise about it.

However, last time they were here, Elouise heard Fayre mumble to herself that they wouldn't be avoiding fire next time.

A swarm of nerves filled Elouise's chest at the nearing possibility. Fayre had a point, though. Elouise needed to learn how to control the fire as easily as she could control her light. Even so, understanding the necessity didn't make this situation feel any less menacing.

Fayre set the sack down and reached inside. She pulled out a plank of wood and held it out to her right. Elouise smirked, concentrating on the object as she raised her hand again and struck the wood with a ball of light that fused through, creating a perfect circle in the center.

"Very good." Fayre put the wood down. They continued this activity with a few other pointless objects, testing the strength of Elouise's magic and how much damage it could truly do.

After Fayre ran out of things, the dreadful and inevitable moment arrived.

Any happiness Elouise had built up faded within seconds of Fayre reaching into her sack again and bringing out a candle. She gulped, knowing she couldn't run away or make an excuse.

"Light the candle, Elouise," Fayre instructed.

Elouise took a few deep breaths, steadying herself. The burning town flashed through her mind, and she shivered.

Nothing to fear. She narrowed her eyes at the candle's wick. You are in control of this. If you want the candle to ignite, make it so.