Chapter Seventeen

Eldon and Leanne arrived at the castle early the next morning. They'd gotten Elouise's note when they got to the inn last night. Leanne had snatched it from his hands and grinned when she saw herself mentioned by name.

"Never thought I'd be sayin' this, but I think me and Her Highness are gonna be friends." Then she snapped her fingers. "C'mon. Time for bed. She wants us there early."

But Eldon barely slept last night. So, while Leanne skipped ahead of him, he purposely stayed behind to hide his yawns. And when they reached the entrance, Leanne handed the note to a guard. The note was checked over a few times before they were led inside.

Elouise and Lady Fayre were already waiting for them in the drawing room. Eldon took a deep breath and bowed. Leanne followed suit with a curtsy. It still surprised Eldon how naturally Leanne did the gesture without fumbling or seeming awkward. He'd almost say she'd rehearsed it many times on her own.

"It's wonderful to see the two of you again," said Elouise, standing from the bench. She made a beeline for Leanne, so Eldon stepped aside.

He glanced around, wondering if Henry and Ivy were also around somewhere. Henry had been surprised to see Eldon yesterday. Maybe even a little disappointed. Eldon still wondered what that had been about. He thought they had been on good terms. 

"A pleasure," Leanne responded, nodding.

"I have much planned for us today. I hope you have not eaten breakfast yet." Elouise giggled, and Eldon felt his lips twitch. "I have a bit of a surprise waiting for you at the end of our tour."

Leanne beamed. "I haven't, actually."

Then Eldon noticed Fayre waving him over. He raised his eyebrows and blinked a few times when he met her gaze. Again, she signaled for him to get closer.

"Shall we get started?" Elouise gestured to the door. "I cannot wait another moment!" Which she happily proved by rushing past Leanne and into the corridor.

Leanne started to turn, but she paused and shot a questionable glance at Eldon. Eldon rubbed his neck and shrugged his right shoulder.

"Eldon knows the castle well," Fayre chimed in, earning both of their attentions. She laughed. "I will keep him company in the meantime. Enjoy the tour and welcome to Starset, Leanne."

Leanne exhaled slowly and smiled. "Thanks. See you two later." She spun around and hurried to catch up with Elouise.

Once they were halfway down the hall, Fayre stepped up to Eldon and explained.

"She wants us to search for every painting in this castle that belongs to Ashton. She hopes his paintings give more clues. We now understand that Ashton could heal. But was that all he could do?" Fayre gave him a quizzical look, like Eldon should just know the answer.

He swallowed hard. "Guess it won't hurt to figure that out."

"Where would you like to start? I was thinking we could scour the higher floors first, then make our way to the bottom."

"Huh?" Eldon blinked a few times. He had hoped they would be doing this separately. Not that he had any problem with Lady Fayre. It's just that he barely knew her. He couldn't stop imagining the awkward silence as they searched together.

If this is what Elouise wanted, (and he knew this had been her idea) Eldon wouldn't go against it.

"Are you not happy with this arrangement?" Fayre folded her arms across her chest, but he saw the light teasing in her eyes.

"It's fine." He nodded toward the door. "And I'm ready."

As Fayre walked out first and led the way, she glanced over her shoulder, asking, "Do you remember how the first painting looked? We are searching for paintings with a similar style."