Chapter Five

A miracle. That's how Eldon would explain it. By some miracle, everyone managed to put out the fire before it devoured everything in its path. It hadn't reached any of their homes or the animals. But now ash and remnants of their crops were laid out in the fields instead of its usual vibrant colors.

The sun had just finished rising by the time everyone gathered in the middle of Ilsen. Fog still covered their surroundings, and the stench from the smoke gave Eldon a headache. He huddled next to Leanne and rubbed his temples. Mary had stayed inside to shield Olivia from the polluted air, but Eldon could hear the baby's cries like she was right beside him. And his head throbbed even more.

Davidson and Bolton made their way in front of the crowd, their arms crossed and their faces grim. After taking a breath that was immediately followed by coughing, Davidson took a step forward. Bolton reached out and patted him on the shoulder, easing some of the tension on Davidson's rough features.

Then Davidson raised his forefinger and started.

"Penuriam's got no protection! We got nothin'. But the other regions? Oh, they got their backs watched plenty."

Some exchanged glances with one another and nodded. Leanne grabbed Eldon's hand and squeezed it.

"I'm gonna go to the capital," Davidson continued, "and I'm gonna demand that fuckin' royal family to help us for once in their worthless lives!"

Eldon stiffened and pulled his hand free when he noticed the excitement gleaming in everyone else's eyes. Leanne frowned at him, but he couldn't tell what exactly had her so worried.

"They've got everythin'! And they always goin' 'bout how they care for all of Aristol! Well, we're a part of Aristol, too! So, where's our cut! They never give us shit!"

"Yeah!" Most rejoiced, throwing their fists in the air.

Eldon curled in his fingers.

Davidson glanced around, nodding with obvious pride over his supportive people. "It's time to show that good-for-nothin' king that we ain't gonna stand by anymore! Him and his little princess!"

Eldon furrowed his brows. He understood being angry at the king (it was his responsibility to look after his people), but Elouise? No. If it were up to her—

He flinched when the rest of the villagers joined in with an uproar. Then he couldn't take it anymore. He leaped onto his feet and tried focusing on his many thoughts and words scattering around his pounding head.

Leanne looked up at him. "What're you doin'?"

Davidson turned and noticed Eldon. And he smiled at him.

"I don't think it's Princess Elouise's fault," Eldon mumbled, unsure if he wanted everyone to know what he was saying. But it was too late for that. Everyone stared up at him in disbelief, even Leanne.

Davidson walked over to him and asked him to repeat himself. The rest of the villagers hushed themselves and leaned in closer for a chance to hear as well.

Eldon sighed. "I said I don't think it's her fault. She's got no say in what her father does."

Davidson's smile fell. "Why the hell are you defendin' her?"

"He's got a point," Leanne defended, jumping up. A few gasped. "Who knows how much control she's got? We shouldn't be throwin' blame at all of 'em."

Eldon exhaled slowly, wishing he could thank her in front of everyone. Even so, it was enough for him to find the will to say, "I don't think you should go." He met Davidson's sharp eyes. "I'll go."