Chapter Forty-Seven

Hearing Fayre call her from the other side of the door made Elouise groan. She knew she couldn't have been asleep for more than an hour. How was it already time to get up?

Throwing the pillow off her head, Elouise turned herself over and sat up. Her ponytail had come loose at some point, and she knew her hair stood up in unnatural ways. She smoothed out most of it quickly before telling Fayre to enter. The blue bow had somehow ended up off the bed. She reached over and plucked it off the floor as Fayre walked in.

Clearly amused by this appearance, Fayre smirked at her. "Well, good morning, Your Highness."

Elouise shamelessly whined. "I find it difficult believing that it is morning. I must have merely slept for thirty minutes."

"Thirty minutes?" Fayre chuckled. "What were you doing all night that kept you up the whole time?"

Elouise widened her eyes as the night's events flashed through her mind.

And Fayre frowned. "Oh, no. I was not being serious. Elouise, what were you doing?"

"N-Nothing!" Elouise jumped out of bed and headed for the mirror on the other side of the room.

Fayre followed.

"Oh, nothing, hmm?"

Elouise halted in front of the looking glass and mindlessly brushed through her hair. She puckered her lips and stared up at the ceiling, avoiding locking eyes with Fayre through their reflections.

Fayre wouldn't dare give up so easily, though. "Elouise."

Elouise sighed and turned to face her. "Well, I didn't go alone."

"Go? You left?"

"Not particularly... we were still around... although, it was a bit far, but—"

"Who is included in we?"

"Henry, Eldon, and Ivy."

"The four of you were out last night? For what purpose? Where did you go and why?"

Elouise grabbed Fayre's shoulders and squeezed gently. "Alright, I am too exhausted to argue about this. So, I will simply tell you everything. But you must promise me, Fay, that you will not be angry or terrified."

Fayre's brows shot up. "I guarantee I will be both, but I will try not to express either one."

"That is all I ask." Elouise dropped her hands, wondering where she should start. The part with Udolf and hearing the dragon... or skipping right to the fun part. Would it be fine to mention what had happened between Henry and Eldon?

Elouise couldn't get her thoughts in order, so she told Fayre everything. From Udolf to the slight falling out that awkwardly ended their night. And, really, Elouise applauded Fayre for remaining as calm as she did. Still, Elouise had noticed the slight twitches on Fayre's face when she told the part about the dragon and how Ivy pulled the spear from Luna's wing.

Once she finished, she gave her friend permission to react genuinely.

And Fayre did not hold back.

"You went and found a dragon?"

Elouise gasped and looked toward the window. She could hear the guards' routinely footsteps marching below. She hoped none of them had heard anything. Staring forward at Fayre again, Elouise crossed her arms. "Oh, Fay, could you have said that any louder?"

They were interrupted by someone at the door. Fayre huffed and told Elouise that they were not finished with this conversation. She went to the door and answered it, and, judging by the face she made, one that said, "oh, it's you," Elouise knew it wasn't Gidget.